|Location Map ( geo)|
|Argyll and Bute|
The bridge over the River Orchy at Dalmally is a rather beautiful three arch stone bridge, gracefully spanning this tempestuous river. The three wide arches require two piers to sit in the river channel, and evidently these had become dangerous at some point in the past as they are now encased in massive concrete cutwaters. The expert analysis is that this work was carried out in the mid 20th Century, and that the two outer arches were partially rebuilt at the same time, although the central arch appears to be original.
Until the 1930s it carried the A85 road from Tyndrum to Oban. However, with the construction of the new Kilchurn Bridge, the A85 was re-routed along part of the former A819, and the old road, including Dalmally Bridge, was given the B8077 number.
The bridge sits on the old Military Road from Tyndrum to Oban, which suggests that it may have been built by Major Caulfeild who was responsible for the roads construction. However, it is decidedly different from most of the other large bridges attributed to him, and it was in fact built in 1780-81 by Lewis Piccard. So does this mean that Caulfeild's bridge was not able to withstand the river and had to be replaced shortly afterwards?