|Location Map ( geo)|
|1766, 1930s, 1980s|
There are three bridge sites across the River Earn at Dalreoch, two still standing, and all of them have at one time or another carried the A9 across the river.
The Current A9 Bridge across the River Earn is a standard multi-span concrete bridge carrying a dual carriageway road. It was built as part of the works to dual the A9 between Stirling and Perth in the 1970s and 80s.
The Old Bridge
The old bridge still standing at Dalreoch was built in the 1930s to carry the busy A9 route between Stirling and Perth. It is a substantial single-span concrete arch structure which is similar in design to many other structures built on the Scottish Road network in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The concrete is all open lattice work, with 4 ribs spanning the river between the open abutment piers. The two ribs under the roadway are thicker than the flanking ribs, but all support a series of uprights forming a truss. The parapets are heavily detailed in an art-deco style.
Today the bridge carries an exceptionally wide minor road from the A9 at Dalreoch north to Findo Gask. A short distance north of the bridge, a gateway on the right marks the point where the old alignment of the A9 forks off and runs along the edge of the hill, the section of road known as the Cairnie Braes.
The old bridge above was built to replace an even older structure which was built in 1766. It appears to have still been standing in the 1970s, but has since disappeared. Descriptions of it suggest that it was similar to the contemporary Forteviot Bridge further downstream, and it stood between the two surviving bridges at Dalreoch, albeit close to the older bridge. It consisted of 4 stone arches across the river, with three-sided (as opposed to triangular) refuges over the piers.