Disputed Numbers (Mapping errors)
The following list is of Road numbers identified from archived online copies of OS 1:2500 and 1:10,000 / 10:560 mapping, and elsewhere, which are deemed somewhat dubious, and most likely errors or copyright traps. Further evidence may suggest that these were genuinely issued numbers, requiring full article.
See also: Category:Disputed numbers
- A185(M) is a mapping error for A194(M) that appears in the 1969 edition of Bartholomew Half Inch sheet 42 (Northumberland).
- B1003 - presumed misprint for B1008 in Chelmsford appears on 1951 1:2500 OS sheet
- B1227 - presumed misprint for B1277 in Hartlepool seen occasionally, but not consistently
- B3098 - presumed misprint for B3398 shown on 1940s 1:2500 sheets.
- B3146 - presumed misprint for B3346 in Weston super Mare, but repeated time and again from 1950s-c1990 when the route became the B3440 for no apparent reason.
- A3409 - presumed misprint for A3049 on the early 1960s OS one inch map to the north of Poole
- B4085 in Worcester on the 1940 1:2500 map - presumed to be a misprint for the recently allocated B4485 (Wylds Lane)
- A4108 - presumed misprint for A4168 in Dudley on 1951 OS 1:2500 sheet.
- B4464 - A mapping error found in the AA book of the road from the 1960s. Balance of information suggests this genuinely is the B4454 (Coventry).
- A5008 - Gungate in Tamworth on all early OS sheets up to 1960s. The MOT maps suggest A5003 which makes more sense, but it is odd to have such a lengthy error.
- B5012 - presumed misprint for B5072 on 1980s 1:10,000 OS mapping.
- A511 - presumed misprint for A5112 shows up on 1960s one inch OS maps.
- B5133 - presumed misprint for B5183 shows up on 1950s and 60s OS maps
- B5358 - presumed misprint for B5359 in Keswick on late 1930s 1:2500 OS map.
- B6226 - shown on 1960 1:2500 map in Rochdale on route of B6266 (Rochdale Centre).
- B6439 Shown on 1940 1:2500 map only, Quayside in Newcastle. Indicated immediately east of A1 Tyne Bridge, and presumed to be same or similar route to B6431 shown on other sheets.
- A9802 - Grainger Street in Newcastle on OS 1:2500 1970, normally numbered as A6086, and therefore may potentially have been read upside down to give this number!
- B6336 - Briefly shown in place of B6366 in Duns, Berwickshire.
- A9103 - The A9013 is erroneously labelled as the A9103 on a series of maps up to c1970, and this over the full route which crosses several sheet boundaries at each scale.
- B965 - The southern end of the A965 in Stromness on Orkney is shown as the B965 on some maps
- B4234 - this number appears to have been given to the B4294 in Barry on the 1956 1:2500 sheets, repeated across sheet boundaries
- B4250 - Shown on 1940s 1:2500 maps in place of B4259
- B4305 is the number shown on the 1952 1:2500 map for what is now part of the B4309, namely Coleshill Terrace in Llanelli. It is an apparent spur of the main route, and may have briefly been numbered as such before it was decided to extend the B4309 instead.
- B4407 - presumed mapping error for B4400 past Oswestry Station.
- B5420 is shown on the 1989 1:10,000 map for the former B5107 route past Bangor Station.