Druim na Droichaid
|Location Map ( geo)|
|1808, 1818, 1933|
Drumnadrochit Bridge crosses the River Enrick in Drumnadrochit. The bridge appears to be a concrete structure, built in 1933 and clad in stone, as with other bridges built in the Highlands in the 1930s. However, records say that the bridge was only widened in 1933, and in fact dates back to the early nineteenth century. Today, the approach to the bridge from the south is nice and straight, but off to the right the old road curves around the back of the small green. This would have led to a rather tight bend onto the bridge.
The original bridge here was built by Thomas Telfords team when building the new road up the west side of Loch Ness in 1808. However, within a decade reconstruction was needed following a flood, and this was carried out by Telford's chief engineer. The bridge is a single span stone arch, and while it has been widened access to the bridge is not easy, so it is not possible to tell on which side.