Today there are three bridges crossing the River Leven at Dumbarton, the old bridge, the newer Artizan Bridge carrying the A814 and the newest of all, the Dumbarton Bypass Bridge carrying the A82. However, the original Dumbarton Bridge carried the A82 when the roads were first classified in 1922.
The Old Bridge
Dumbarton is the historic crossing point of the River Leven for the main road from Glasgow to Argyll and the West Highlands. For centuries, there has been a crossing here whether by Ferry or Bridge, with the current old bridge, also known as Dalreoch Bridge, on Bridge Street dating back to 1765. However, it wasn't all plain sailing once the bridge was built, as one of the piers failed soon after resulting in the collapse of two arches. The reconstruction was complete by 1768, giving us the present five stone arches across the river.
The Iron cantilevered footways date from the widening of 1884 by WR Copeland of Glasgow, although the railings above only date from the restoration of 1933 - the same time as so much other work was being carried out on the full length of the A82.
The old bridge was numbered as part of the A82 route back in 1922, although as early as 1935 with the new Great Western Road and Dumbarton Bypass opened the A82 was moved north to cross the River Leven at Bonhill Bridge in Alexandria. This left the bridge to the extended A814, which had formerly met the A82 just to the west of the bridge at Dalreoch.