|Location Map ( geo)|
|Traffic light controlled fork|
|Junctions related to the A814|
First things first, there is apparently no official name for this junction to the east of Dumbarton. However, Dumbarton Fork seems to be commonly used, alongside Dumbuck Fork and even just Dumbuck. The junction itself, as the name suggests, is a simple traffic-light controlled fork between the A82 and the A814. The two routes multiplex to the east for about a mile, but split here with the A82 taking to the bypass while the A814 continues into Dumbarton itself.
The junction is not full-access, with no option for A82 eastbound traffic to turn right onto the A814, however, as the two routes run almost parallel, on a slight diverge, back to Barloan Toll, this movement is unnecessary. A tiny left turn lane is provided for A814 traffic, but is only very occasionally used. Westbound traffic from A82 - A814 has a constant green light, while the remainder of the A82 traffic has to come to a halt to allow A814 traffic to cross and join the A82.
The A82 has always passed through this junction, however, its route and the other route number has changed. Way back in 1922 the A82 continued into Dumbarton, while the A811 terminated on the 'bypass' alignment. When the A82 was re-routed onto the new Great Western Road, it was also diverted away from Dumbarton crossing the River Leven upstream at Bonhill Bridge instead. This saw the A814 brought through on its present alignment, followed by the multiplex, to take up the former A82 route into Glasgow.
It is not clear whether the Dumbarton Bypass from the fork to Barloan Toll was dualled at that time, although the section to the east of the fork seemingly was. It is also not clear quite how old the signage painted on the wall at the fork is. Reading Helensburgh (to the left) and Loch Lomond (to the right), they could pre-date 1922, and indicate old coaching routes, or direct traffic on the route that was later taken by the A82, after all Loch Lomond is one of Scotland's largest lochs, accessible from Balloch and Balmaha, both of which would be reached by the original A811.