|Location Map ( geo)|
|Junctions related to the A814|
Dunglass Roundabout is the third junction between the A82 and the A814 when heading northbound. The junction was created in the later 1920s when the new Great Western Road was built out to Dumbarton. At that time, the A82 still followed the Clyde along what is now the A814, while the new road was initially numbered as the A876. That all changed in 1934 when the A82 was re-routed along the new road and the old road became an extension of the A814. Indeed, west of this point the two routes multiplex for about a mile to the Dumbarton Fork at Dumbuck.
The junction is still marked as a fork on maps from the 1970s, presumably traffic-light controlled by then, and indeed the roundabout does feel fairly modern in design. The vast majority of traffic, however, stays on the A82 either east- or west-bound, with only very local traffic turning onto the A814 for Bowling.
There is also a fourth arm to the roundabout, providing access to the quarry that lies up the hill immediately to the north of the A82.
|Crianlarich, Dumbarton, (A814), The Trossachs, Loch Lomond|
|Glasgow, Erskine Bridge (A898)|
|Bowling, Old Kilpatrick|