East Linton Bridge
|East Linton Bridge|
|Location Map ( geo)|
East Linton Bridge carries the B1377 across the River Tyne at East Linton. It is a single stone arch bridge probably dating to the few years between 1549 when a previous bridge is reported to have been destroyed by the French, and 1560 when a new bridge is recorded. It has been repaired and upgraded several times since then; the engraved date 1763 refers to a widening. It was repaired again in the 1880s and 1932 - after it had been replaced as the main road.
The bridge is built from the local Red Sandstone, and has two arches over the river, with the pier set in the riverbed. The arches are ribbed underneath, and the piers are supported by substantial triangular cutwaters and buttresses. At the east end there are a pair of curved refuges, but these are unusually not repeated at the centre or west end of the bridge. Although it is known that the bridge was widened in 1763, it appears that this included substantial work to the older parts of the bridge as well, with the parapets and some of the stonework above the arches on both sides apparently dating from this time, although this may be a result of subsequent repairs.