New Tyne Bridge (East Lothian)
|New Tyne Bridge|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A199|
New Tyne Bridge carries the A199 across the River Tyne to the south of East Linton. The bridge lies on the first bypass of East Linton built in 1927; the old road into town, now the B1377, crosses a little to the north. It is essentially a large culvert and consists of an unusual twin concrete span supporting a grassed embankment which carries the road high above the water level of the river. The central pier is slender, and narrower than the overall structure, making it almost look like an afterthought, although it is presumably original. A cantilevered footway is carried around the western abutment.