Exford Bridge carries the B3224 over the River Exe in the pretty village of Exford near the centre of Exmoor National Park. The village name makes it apparent that the river was originally forded, but the current bridge is believed to have replaced a series of bridges dating back to the Medieval period.
The bridge itself is a 3-arch stone bridge which was built in 1930 to provide a wider deck for modern vehicular traffic levels, and indeed it still offers 2 lanes for traffic and wide pavements on either side. The previous structure is believed to have been single track. The arches look quite small - other rivers of a similar width are easily spanned with a single arch. However, with the river canalised and substantial cutwaters to protect the piers the smaller arches were probably easier to build, without any real danger from floodwaters. The approach from the east is a wide sweeping bend in front of the White Horse Inn but on the west bank of the river, the road turns sharply along the river bank and is somewhat narrower as it heads out of the village.