Fiveways Roundabout (Mildenhall)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Barton Mills/Mildenhall, Suffolk|
|A11, A1065, A1101|
|Junctions related to the A1065|
|Junctions related to the A1101|
Fiveways Roundabout is a roundabout on the A11 at the southern entrance to Thetford Forest. For many years this marked the end of the dual carriageway A11 and the beginning of the heavily congested single carriageway section through Thetford Forest. It was often subject to congestion, particularly in the summer months, when the two lanes of A11 traffic have to filter down to a single lane. Since the opening of the new dual carriageway to the north, traffic patterns on the roundabout have changed, with congestion now being experienced on the other roads approaching the roundabout.
A few hundred metres south of the roundabout the A11 crosses the River Lark, but slightly to the West there still exists the old single carriageway route of the A11, long since bypassed, which is a partly a residential access road as it crosses the river, then continues through what is now a petrol station and little chef, and then as a public footpath up to the roundabout.
In March 2017, the government announced that the roundabout would be signalised at a cost of £0.4m as part of the pinch points improvement programme.
Originally, the junction currently occupied by Fiveways Roundabout was a simple five way fork. At classification, the roads were the A11, B1101 and B1105, but by 1924 the B1105 had been upgraded to A1065 and by 1926 the B1101 had been upgraded to A1101, giving five A-roads meeting at the junction.
The present roundabout dates from the "Barton Mills Diversion", a late 1950s project to divert the A11 on a new bridge over the River Lark further east from the old route. When the Barton Mills Bypass opened in 1986, it plugged into this diversion.
|Bury St Edmunds|