Fortune of War
|Fortune of War|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Approaching the roundabout at Sunset|
|Modified Roundabout (limited access)|
|A127 Southend Arterial Road, High Road, High Road North|
The Fortune of War is a limited access junction on the Southend Arterial Road. Originally, when the junction opened in the mid 1920s, the junction was known as Laindon Crossroads. A pub was built at the junction in 1925, called the "Fortune of War" - the junction quickly became known after the pub name.
It was originally a roundabout but was modified to allow left in left out only.
(1) The A127 Trunk Road (Fortune of War Roundabout, Laindon) (Prohibition of Various Traffic Movements) (Experimental) Order 1995. The Order, which was authorised by the then Secretary of State for Transport Brian Mawhinney, was experimental and prohibited all right turns from the High Road (B1007) and the A127 for a period not exceeding 18 months. (Source: London Gazette, 05/04/1995, Issue No. 54000 p. 5144).
(2) The A127 Trunk Road (Fortune of War Roundabout, Laindon) (Prohibition of Various Traffic Movements) Order 1996. This permanent Order, with the same conditions, made by the Secretary of State for Transport on 2nd September, 1996 came into effect on 6th October, 1996 superceeding the previous experimental Order which expired on 5th October, 1996. (Source: London Gazette, 12/09/1996, Issue No. 54523 p. 12147).
|7.5T weight limit Except for access|