This was one of the infamous level crossings that blighted the Great North Road. It's near the cattle market in Newark.Originally uploaded to Coppermine on Feb 18, 2006 by Lonewolf
Trent Bridge Built in 1775 by Stephen Wright with footways and railings dated 1848 to carry the Great North Road over the River Trent by Newark Castle. The date on the railings with the Newark coat of arms reads MDCCCXLVIII .... remembered with a local mnemonic of 'Medical doctors can't cure cats XLV 123' .... or 1848.
Newark-on-Trent in 1978 This page includes a scan of a non-free copyrighted map, and the copyright for it is most likely held by the company or person that produced the map. It is believed that the use of a limited number of web-resolution scans qualifies as fair use under United Kingdom copyright law, where this web page is hosted, as such display does not significantly impede the right of the copyright holder to sell the copyrighted material, is not being used to generate profit in this context, and presents information that cannot be exhibited otherwise. If the copyright holder considers this is an infringement of their rights, please contact the Site Management Team to discuss further steps
The Great North Road - Newark, Beaumond Cross
Great North Road at South Muskham: looking south along the B6325
Great North Road (C) Richard Croft The old A1 south of Balderton
Southern terminus of the Newark Bypass in 1966, from Concrete Quarterly. Shows the original roundabout at Balderton Interchange, looking south. The road bisects Balderton, to the west and the new parish of Fernwood to the east.
The 1.5 mile Shire Bridge to Balderton improvement was opened on 30th November 1971 by Ronald Strutt, Lord Belper. Construction had started in August 1970. Completion had been due in February 1972.