Galleries with a large number of pictures split across multiple pages are currently not working correctly - to see all images in the gallery click here.
Road Bridge Over the River Avon
Bridge at Carrog The road bridge that carries the B5437 over the River Dee at Carrog.
Diagram of Arch Bridge to identify what bit is what!
The Ferry Inn The road is Appledore Road, the principal road into the Isle of Oxney from the north. The watercourse is called the Reading Sewer. Originally it was much wider and part of the River Rother which flowed north of Oxney. However, according to this <a title='http://www.villagenet.co.uk/history/0000-romneymarsh.html' rel='nofollow' href='http://www.villagenet.co.uk/history/0000-romneymarsh.html'>Link</a><img style='padding-left:2px;' alt='External link' title='External link - shift click to open in new window' src='http://s0.geograph.org.uk/img/external.png' width='10' height='10'/> the Rother was flowing south of Oxney as early as 1750. The pub is called the Ferry Inn and outside it is a board headed 'Oxney Ferry, List of Tolls' and including 'Motor coach or Char-a-banc - 1s 6d' suggesting that it was still a ferry in the age of the motor car. Given the narrowness of the river why did nobody build a bridge sooner? Or was it in fact a toll bridge?
(e-mailed information from a visitor to the site follows)
I noticed your note about the Ferry. The Ferry is located at the last land spit on the Isle of Oxney, which used to be surrounded by sea and rivers, and much of the surrounding area became marshland in around 1650, when the sea level changed. The ferry used to carry people from the Isle of Oxney to the mainland at Appledore, a journey of over a mile.
The river Rother used to run past the pub, but was later diverted to the other side of the island. This was a major transport route for shipping, as it used to run from Newenden past Smallhythe (both major ship-building ports in Henry VIII's day) to the port at Rye. Currently, the waterway that runs past the Ferry is called Reading Sewer.
The Railway Bridge in Arthington (C) Chris Heaton The A659 under the Harrogate/Leeds line, near the Wharfedale Public House in Arthington
Victoria Avenue Bridge (C) Keith Edkins Built in 1889 to provide access from Chesterton village into Cambridge, it was the last bridge downstream for nearly 100 years until the building of Elizabeth Way.
The Taf Fechan Bridge carrying the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road north of Merthyr Tydfil. The bridge was completed in mid-1964. It crosses a thickly wooded valley and it's difficult to get a good view of the graceful concrete arch from any angle.
North Parade Bridge North Parade was built in 1740-48 by John Wood the elder as a summer promenade, ending with a viewpoint high above the river. Almost one hundred years later, it was extended across the river by the building of North Parade Bridge 1835-6 (http://bath-heritage.co.uk/north_parade_bridge.html Bath Heritage).
The original bridge was a typical early 19th century cast iron span across the Avon with stonework abutments. It was restyled and rebuilt in stone 100 years later in 1936-7 when it was refaced with Ashlar Stone over the old iron spans to make it 'blend in' better with the Georgian architecture of Bath. Otherwise, the bridge remains as built, a wide roadway crossing the river from John Wood's Parades to the low lying sports fields of Bathwick (http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=North_Parade_Bridge_(Bath) SABRE).
New Bridge (No 208) from the north-west Carrying the A4 over the River Avon.
B1341 crosses Waren Burn
Road bridge over the Waren Burn An road bridge with ornate painted iron parapets crosses the Waren Burn at Lucker Station.