Cleveland Bridge plaque, Bath (C) Jaggery Cleveland Bridge was built for the Duke of Cleveland at the site of an ancient ferry crossing of the River Avon. This plaque on the side of the bridge, half way across, records in Roman numerals the year of the bridge's opening and its architect and the building contractor.
The text is MDCCCXXVII (1827) H.E. GOODRIDGE. ARCHT. W HAZELDINE. CONTR.
A36 crosses River Avon (C) Alex McGregor
Cleveland Bridge, Bath (C) Stephen Richards 'Among the finest Greek Revival bridges', wrote Pevsner. At each of the four corners is a lodge with a Greek Doric portico, derived from James Stuart's and Nicholas Revett's Antiquities of Athens (the fruits of their pioneering trip to Greece, published in 1762). Below is a cast-iron segmental arch. By Henry Goodridge, 1827 (reconstructed 1928, strengthened 1992). Grade II* listed.
River Avon, Bath, from a balloon (C) Roger Beale We had just taken off from Victoria Park, flying roughly westwards. Cleveland Bridge is centre of left side.