North Parade Bridge North Parade was built in 1740-48 by John Wood the elder as a summer promenade, ending with a viewpoint high above the river. Almost one hundred years later, it was extended across the river by the building of North Parade Bridge 1835-6 (http://bath-heritage.co.uk/north_parade_bridge.html Bath Heritage).
The original bridge was a typical early 19th century cast iron span across the Avon with stonework abutments. It was restyled and rebuilt in stone 100 years later in 1936-7 when it was refaced with Ashlar Stone over the old iron spans to make it 'blend in' better with the Georgian architecture of Bath. Otherwise, the bridge remains as built, a wide roadway crossing the river from John Wood's Parades to the low lying sports fields of Bathwick (http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=North_Parade_Bridge_(Bath) SABRE).