Original post-Warboys sign signaling the beginning of the cross-country route in Warrington. There used to be a similar looking sign signaling the large A57 roundabouts at both sides of the town, however both were removed when the Midland Way fly-over were completed.
Originally uploaded to Coppermine on Jan 17, 2007 by snowdon
Pre-Warboys sign on the A50 in Warrington
Pre-Warboys sign on the A50 in (east) Warrington. The indicated turn is no longer the A574, and you can't realy get to Leigh that way ether. (sign now removed)
Originally uploaded to Coppermine on Apr 03, 2005 by Mediaman_12
Warrington Bridge Warrington Bridge played an important part in the defence of Warrington during the Civil War. In 1648, the remnants of the Duke of Hamilton's army surrendered to Cromwell here.
Kingsway crosses the Mersey
New part time signals - A57/A49 Cockhedge roundabout, Warrington.
These new (halogen) Helios heads are part time, however I've not seen them off yet! The approaches appear to have MOVA loops, however this particular column is holding a Video Detection AGD.
Originally uploaded to Coppermine on Dec 30, 2009 by traffic-light-man
More M6 was opened and, a speed limit was proposed.
Originally uploaded to Coppermine on Jul 16, 2008 by SteveA30
Looking towards Grappenhall
This would have been a major junction in the pre-motorway era.
The A57 and A50 meet at traffic lights at Paddington, Warrington.
Horsemarket Street, Warrington A view down the former A49, Horsemarket Street in Warrington town centre, Cheshire, England.
Warrington Transporter Bridge The Warrington Transporter Bridge (or Bank Quay Transporter Bridge) across the River Mersey is a structural steel transporter bridge. The bridge has a span of 200 ft (61 m), is 30 ft (9.1 m) wide, 76 ft (23 m) feet above high water level, with an overall length of 339 ft (103 m) feet. It was constructed in 1915 and fell into disuse in approximately 1964. It was designed by William Henry Hunter and built by Sir William Arrol & Co.
It was the second of two transporter bridges across the Mersey at Warrington. The first was erected in 1905 slightly to the north of the existing bridge, and was described in The Engineer in 1908. A third transporter bridge over the Mersey was the Widnes-Runcorn Transporter Bridge, built in 1905 and dismantled in 1961.
The Warrington Transporter Bridge was constructed to connect the two parts of the large chemical and soap works of Joseph Crosfield and Sons. It was originally designed to carry rail vehicles up to 18 long tons (18 tonnes) in weight, and was converted for road vehicles in 1940. In 1953 it was further modified to carry loads of up to 30 long tons (30 tonnes).
The bridge is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building, and because of its poor condition it is on the Heritage at Risk Register. The bridge is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
A local group called 'Friends of Warrington Transporter Bridge' (FoWTB) was formed in April 2015 to act as the independent voice of the bridge. The group is liaising with other interest groups to safeguard the future of the bridge and its industrial heritage status. FoWTB have been featured on the local BBC News programme North West Tonight and have set up a website for the bridge along with Facebook and Twitter pages. In 2016, the bridge was nominated for the Institution of Civil Engineers North West Heritage Award.