Gravesend - Tilbury Ferry
|Gravesend - Tilbury Ferry|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|The Ferry today.|
|Distance:||0.6 km (0.4 miles)|
|Essex • Kent|
| c1200's (Passengers)|
|Kent Council & Thurrock Council|
| £3.00 (Adult Passengers)|
Abolished for vehicles: Superseded by Dartford Tunnel
This river crossing was the predecessor of the Dartford Tunnel. Although the crossing has run since the 13th Century, it was in 1862 that the London, Tilbury & Southend line took it over. In 1911, the LTS allowed vehicles on to the ferry and the next year, the LTS was taken over by the Midland Railway which at grouping became the LMS. In 1948 all the railways were nationalised and it was then run by the maritime division of British Railways later known as Sealink. It was privatised in 1984 and sold on to the local councils. As the last crossing on the Thames, it was a major crossing before the opening of the first Dartford Tunnel in 1963. When that happened, it was downgraded back to a passenger ferry. Nowadays, it still runs as a joint operation by both by Kent Council & Thurrock Council.
From 2012, all ferries were routed to the Town Pier on the Gravesend side.
|Thames Swift||No IMO - MarineTraffic link|