|Location Map ( geo)|
Halkirk Bridge spans the River Thurso at Halkirk, carrying the B874. It is a rather underwhelming steel girder bridge with a single span carrying the two-way road and pavements between concrete panel parapets. It was built in 1970, replacing a much more interesting 18th century crossing. The old bridge was completed in 1731, using money from the will of a local landowner. It had taken 12 years to build, and there are many tales connecting the bridge to the devil, who was blamed for the delay in completing the crossing!
The old bridge consisted of three small stone arches across the river, carrying a level roadway. Old photographs appear to show triangular cutwaters on at least one of the piers. Both piers stood in the river bed.