Hampton Court Bridge
|Hampton Court Bridge|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Hampton Court Palace (Middlesex)|
|To:||Hampton Court Railway Station (Surrey)|
|Middlesex • Surrey|
|Richmond upon Thames • Surrey|
| 1753 (1st Bridge)|
1778 (2nd Bridge)
1866 (3rd Bridge)
1933 (4th Bridge)
The first (1753-1778) Hampton Court bridge opened on December 13th 1753, replacing a ferry service. It was an exotic Chinese style seven-span timber bridge, carrying a 20-foot wide road with pagoda shaped roofs on each of the spans. The first bridge proved to be unsuitable for day to day use and was rebuilt in the late 1770s, with the second (1778-1866) bridge opening in 1778.. The third Hampton Bridge (1866-1933), a wrought iron girder bridge, came into service in 1866. The fourth and current bridge was built to designs by Sir Edwin Lutyens and engineer W P Robinson and opened in 1933.
On an arty note, the famous French impressionist, Alfred Sisley painted 'Under Hampton Court Bridge' in 1874. It is currently hanging at the Wallraf-Richartz Museum in Köln (Cologne), Germany.