Until the A69 was rerouted onto the bypass quite recently in 2009, it ran through the small town of Haydon Bridge, crossing the River South Tyne on Haydon Bridge. However, it hadn't used the bridge that gave the village it's name for several decades.
The Old Bridge
Dating back to 1680, in theory at least, the old stone arch bridge is now used as a footbridge. It seems probable that the piers, abutments and footings of the bridge do indeed date back to the 17th Century, however, the arches had a habit of collapsing. The two western arches are clearly relatively recent constructions, being concrete ribbed arches. They may in fact date from c1909 when it is recorded that two arches collapsed in a flood. This was just the most recent such event, and over the centuries a total of 6 arches seem to have collapsed on this 6 arch bridge!
The New Bridge
By the 1960s it had become clear that the old bridge was woefully inadequate for the volume of traffic that was crossing it, and so a new bridge was built a little to the north. This is a 5 span concrete structure, built on a sweeping curve to take traffic around from the town centre to to the road eastwards, neatly removing the kinks either side of the bridge at the same time!