|Location Map ( geo)|
|Approaching the top of the pass|
|From:||Adrigole Bridge (V811505)|
|To:||Lauragh Bridge (V775587)|
|Distance:||12.5 km (7.8 miles)|
|Cork • Kerry|
|Cork County • Kerry County|
According to an information plate on the top of the pass, it was built in 1847 as a public works project in the famine. The route was improved in 1930 and named after Timothy Michael Healy on 21st April 1931. Tim Healy was born in Co. Cork and was a politician and first Governor General of Ireland. The pass was formerly known as Bealach Scairt (The way of the sheltered caves), which was the name given to the ancient track through the mountains.
At the top of the pass is a café and a shrine.