Originally just a minor crossroads on Holland Park Avenue, with Holland Road heading south to Earls Court, these roads were classified as A40 and B407 respectively in 1922. In the late 1930s, the creation of the A205 across South London by a mix of new build and renumbered B Roads had reached this junction, replacing the B407. The A205 was rerouted to end at Chiswick Roundabout, and the A3220 created, in the 1950s. The construction of the Westway and the West Cross Route link into Shepherds Bush during the late 1960s (opening July 1970) meant the creation of the current roundabout.
The roundabout was built to be grade-separated, with a north-south M41 mainline. The route south from here was mired in controversy and, despite being proposed as a lower-spec all-purpose road in the mid-80s, was never built. In 1998, the M41 was despecialised and became a northern extension of the A3220, a couple of years before Transport for London took over management of the road from the Highways Agency.