|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the B1044|
Huntingdon Bridge (also known as Old Bridge) carries the B1044 over the River Great Ouse near the centre of Huntingdon. Six stone arches carry the road across the river, with the central arches being higher than the flanking arches. The bridge was built in 1370 (dates vary, with 1300 and 1332 also cited), and appears to have originally borne a chapel, albeit long since demolished to give more room to the roadway, which is still barely wide enough for two-way traffic. Pedestrians, who originally had to make use of the refuges over each pier were provided with a separate footbridge in 1975. In the English Civil War the third arch (not sure from which side!) was apparently replaced by a drawbridge to help defend the town.
While the bridge standing today is quite ancient in bridge terms, we do know something of its predecessor. Apparently built in the early 10th century as a wooden structure alongside the modern bridge site, it was still standing in the 13th century, when it was described as in imminent danger of collapse. It was not until the 14th century, however, that the present bridge was built.
In 2021 there was discussion around the closure of the bridge to motor traffic, as a result of the road improvements in the area coming from the Huntingdon to Cambridge improvement scheme. The trial closure was put on hold because of the difficulty in obtaining useful data during the Coronavirus pandemic