|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the B709|
Innerleithen Bridge carries the B709 across the River Tweed at Innerleithen. It is an interesting bridge, in that it is a metal truss bridge, dating back to 1886, the date of 1830 carved on a stone under the deck on the north abutment was retained from its wooden predecessor! The bridge consists of 4 spans, 3 of which cross the river with the fourth span crossing the south riverbank. The piers are all substantial, decorated structures, constructed of Red Sandstone which contrasts with the green-painted metal work. The trusses themselves are lattice work units, with the top members slightly curving. The road deck is then supported by cross members, triangulated on the outside of the trusses.
The bridge is single carriageway and controlled by traffic lights, although the volume of traffic is low. It replaced an earlier timber bridge, which itself had replaced an ancient ferry service.