Droichead na hInse
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the R111|
|Crossings related to the Dublin Outer Orbital Route|
Island Bridge is a single span stone arch bridge crossing over the River Liffey which now lends its name to a whole district built around South Circular Road. It was formerly called Sarah Bridge after Sarah Fane, Countess of Westmoreland, who laid the foundation stone,and renamed in 1922.
The bridge replaced an earlier bridge, constructed in 1577, that was swept away in 1787.
The bridge has a steep humpback for traffic, not helped by the dip in the road to the south.
Today the bridge forms a key part of the Dublin Outer Orbital Route, as it allows traffic to move between the southern suburbs and the northern suburbs without needing to enter the city centre.