|Location Map ( geo)|
Kelham Bridge is located on the A617 just to the east of Kelham, and crosses the River Trent. It is two lanes wide, and is just wide enough for two lorries to pass, however at the eastern side, the road makes a sharp, 90 degree turn to the right. This causes problems with inexperienced drivers, and there has been several cases of lorries being wedge on the bridge, causing regular damage to the structure. The road on the bend has been widened to allow articulated lorries to "swing out" around the corner.
There has been a bridge at Kelham since at least the 13th Century, when the River Trent was diverted by the landowners from a course that ran about a mile closer to Newark. The present bridge dates from 1857, and was widened several times since.
The bridge has been listed since 1951.