|Location Map ( geo)|
|A82, A8014, B814|
|Junctions related to the A8014|
Kilbowie Roundabout is an important roundabout on the A82 as it makes its way west out of Glasgow. At first glance, the A8014 may seem to be an insignificant local road, but it is one of the major routes in and out of Clydebank, meeting the A814 at the end of the dualled section from the city centre. To the north, the link with the A810 at Hardgate is equally important as the A810 only connects with the citybound side of the A82 where the two meet about a mile further west. Therefore, all westbound A82 traffic must use the A8014 to transfer from the A810 to A82, or vice versa.
There is also another road joining the Kilbowie Roundabout, the B814. In comparison this is only a minor road, zigzagging south west through suburban streets to meet the A814 about a mile further west than the A8014.
The roundabout appears to have been built in 1959, while keeping all the roads open. This was achieved by punching extra gaps into the central reservation on the A82 and constructing the new rotary lanes around the pre-existing signalised crossroads. The route of the B814 was also turned to reach the new junction. This helps to explain the oval shape of the central island, which had to accommodate the old crossroads in the centre during construction.
|Crianlarich, Dumbarton, Erskine Bridge (A898)|
|Hardgate, Duntocher, Bearsden (A810)|