|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Main Street, Killin|
|To:||Grey Street, Killin|
The River Tay does not extend west of Loch Tay, instead it is the River Dochart and it is this river that the bridge at Killin Spans. Unlike the formal structures built by Thomas Telford or General Wade elsewhere in the Highlands, the bridge at Killin is a rather 'homemade' affair! Today it carries the A827, and while it clearly predates 1922 the construction date is not yet clear.
There are 4 arches in total, with the bridge spanning over 100m. However, the main span is less than a fifth of this distance, as much of the bridge is more like a causeway across the islands that lie in the river at this point. The two northern arches span little more that the mill leat and a minor side stream. The main river splits between the two southern arches and flows either side of the burial island which is accessed from the bridge.
The roadway on the bridge is just as erratic as the rest of the structure, being almost two lanes wide at the northern end, then narrowing, widening and narrowing once more to be barely wide enough at the southern end for a coach to swing on. Fortunately, the visibility is good so there is no need for traffic management as yet - people are left to use their common sense!