|Location Map ( geo)|
The Kingsferry Bridge was the main way into the Isle of Sheppy until 2006 when the Sheppey Crossing opened. The current bridge was built in 1959 to allow the Sheppy railway line to be electrified, and carries the line alongside the roadway. The bridge is a lifting bridge where boats take priority over cars & trains. The central section between the two towers lifts up to allow boats to pass underneath. It replaced an older bridge on the same site.