|Location Map ( geo)|
Lindisfarne Causeway is a tidal causeway linking the historic Holy Island of Lindisfarne with the mainland of Northumberland. At high tides, it is submerged by 4 to 6 feet of water, although tourists occasionally attempt the crossing anyway and have to be rescued by lifeboats.
Prior to the construction of the causeway in the 1950s, the only way to the island was across the sands and mud, a route that was regularly negotiated by experienced taxi drivers but hardly suitable for the increasing number of motor tourists.
The causeway opened in 1954. There was originally 1.5 miles of metalled road from the sands to the Holy Island, which was later extended 1.5 miles further onto the island. The crossing includes a ten-span bridge over the River Low, which runs over the sands at low tide.
Maintaining the crossing involves some rather unusual challenges, including removing the large amounts of seaweed that can be deposited on the road by severe storms.