Droichead Uí Mhaoilíosa
|Location Map ( geo)|
|The bridge illuminated at night|
|Crossings related to the Dublin Inner Orbital Route|
Mellowes Bridge (Mellow's Bridge) is one of the older bridges in central Dublin. Opened in 1768, it is a stone arch bridge. It was originally named Queen Maeve Bridge or Queen's Bridge, in honour of Charlotte of Mecklenberg (Queen Consort to George III). It was renamed in 1942 in honour of IRA Lieutenant-General Liam Mellows, who was executed during the Civil War.
It operates in the southbound direction only, forming part of the one way system around Smithfield, and also providing access to the Bridgefoot Street dual carriageway. That road is a remain of the original Inner Tangent plan, which would have seen Mellowes Bridge turned into a dual carriageway.
Unusually for the bridges on The Quays, most of which are flat, this one has a steep hump.