Menai Suspension Bridge
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Caernarfonshire • Anglesey|
|Crossings related to the A5|
|Dow Bridge • Marylebone Flyover • Pont Corwen • Stony Stratford Bypass • Waterloo Bridge, Betws-y-Coed|
The Menai suspension bridge was built in 1825 by Thomas Telford to carry his Holyhead Road across the Menai Straits. Its chains are made from wrought iron which supported a wooden deck. The original deck was replaced in 1893 with a steel deck, and the chains themselves were replaced with steel chains by 1940.
As traffic levels increased, advantage was taken of a severe fire on the neighbouring Britannia Bridge to build a road deck on top of the railway, which relieved the Menai Bridge of most long distance traffic, and this now carries the A55 road.
|Menai Suspension Bridge|