|Location Map ( geo)|
|The new bridge which was constructed in 2013|
Muchrachd Bridge crosses the River Cannich between Loch Mullardoch and the village of Cannich.
The previous bridge located here was a traditional Bailey Bridge consisting of two spans supported on a central pier, also made of Bailey bridge components, the deck was made up of wooden boards. This bridge was thought to date from around the time of the nearby Mullardoch Dam, part of the Affric/Cannich hydroelectric scheme, being constructed, which was completed in 1952. This bridge had a weight limit in its later years, first 17 tonnes, then 3 tonnes from 2012. This necessitated its replacement as it was the only road to the upper part of Glen Cannich and large vehicles had to ford the river, which was only possible at low river levels.
A replacement bridge was constructed in 2013, on the upstream side of its predecessor, this new 52 meter single span was assembled of prefabricated truss panels, essentially a modern equivalent of the Bailey Bridge it replaced. This bridge opened to traffic in December 2013 and was officially opened at a ceremony in March 2014.
- Highland Council: Glen residents and Council Leader officially open Muchrachd Bridge. 04/03/2014 (archive.org)