Star grey.pngStar grey.pngStar grey.pngStar grey.pngStar grey.png

Network changes - 1930s

From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

A list of the changes to the road network in Great Britain from 1930 - 1939. Includes road openings and renumberings.

Road Openings

Year Number on opening Location County Notes
1930 A1 Aycliffe Bypass Durham A half mile bypass west of village and road straightening south of the village. Later renumbered as A167.
1930 A1 Sutton-on-Trent Bypass Nottinghamshire The 0.5 mile road opened on 23 July 1930 and included a bridge over the East Coast Main Line railway to bypass the level crossing. The single carriageway was 30 foot wide.
1930 A1105 Hessle Bypass Yorkshire Stage 2 - The 3 mile section from Pickering Road to the North Ferriby road was opened on 28 January 1930. Later renumbered A63 and back to A1105. The westernmost 0.4 mile became part of A15.
1930 A35 Sidford Trow Hill Bypass Devon The 0.75 mile road, east of Sidford, was opened on 6 February 1930 by Mrs J.G. Cornish of Salcombe House. It had an easier gradient of 1 in 15 compared to the 1 in 5 and a double bend on the old road. Width was 35 feet and cost £8,815. Later renumbered A3052. The old road had been used for test trials on new cars.
1930 A36 Redbridge Causeway and Bypass Hampshire The 0.8 mile road was reported as "now open" in an October 1930 A.A. Roadworks Report. The new road was prompted by the Southern Railway Company wanting to close the level crossing by the old Red Bridge, and that bridge also requiring repairs. The Council put forward their scheme and entered into an agreement with the railway company, with the latter's contribution being £25,000. The tender signed in 1926 was £75,733. The railway company had to put a Bill through Parliament and obtain Royal assent. The Bill was for a new roadway from the Station Hotel, Totton to a point near the Redbridge Schools, which will supercede the existing causeway. The road was later renumbered A35.
1930 A38 Whipton Bypass Devon The 0.4 mile road was officially opened on 21 November 1930 by the Mayor of Exeter. It had been opened in October 1930.
1930 A376 Ebford Bypass Devon The 480 yard road was opened on 11 December 1930 by Mr P.F. Rowsell. It eliminated 3 dangerous bends and the 1 in 8 hill, the new road gradient being 1 in 14. Cost £10,950. Mr Rowsell jokingly named it "Rowsell By-pass" but it became plain "Exmouth Road".
1930 A43 Silverstone Bypass Northamptonshire The original bypass opened in September 1930 and cost £70,000. Later renumbered A413.
1930 A412 North Orbital Road Buckinghamshire Denham to West Hyde (county boundary) was the first section of the proposed London North Orbital Road from Colnbrook Bypass on A4 to Tilbury. The southern part south of Normer Hill had opened by November 1929. It including straightening and widening the existing road and a cutting at Normer Hill to reduce the gradient from 1 in 12 to 1 in 20. The 2.5 miles was to cost £56,000.
1930 A612 Gonalston Bypass Nottinghamshire The 0.75 mile road opened in November 1930. Cost £9,000.
1930 A737 Beith Bypass Ayrshire The 1.4 mile road opened between April and November 1930.
1930 A8 Broxburn and Uphall Bypass West Lothian A 4 mile new section of the Edinburgh - Glasgow New Road. It had a 24 feet deep rock cutting for some distance at the Dechmont end. Bridges were required for the Union Canal and 2 railway lines. A large reinforced concrete culvert carried the Brox Burn under the road. Later renumbered as A89.
1930 A8 Boghall to Polkemmet West Lothian A 4.75 mile new section of the Edinburgh - Glasgow New Road from Boghall, where the Bathgate road diverged, to Polkemmet, just west of Whitburn. By December 1929 the first section had opened west of the Drum crossroads with the Bathgate to East Whitburn road, since it had no bridges to construct. The road was fully opened in 1930. It may not have become A8 until 1935-36. Later renumbered into 3 sections - A7066, A706 and B7066.
1930 A8 Newhouse to Glasgow Lanarkshire An 11 mile new section of the Edinburgh - Glasgow New Road. Parts had been open in 1929 but some railway bridges were not finished until 1930. The section between Baillieston and Glasgow was dual carriageway. It may have been numbered A8 a bit later than 1930. The 2 miles at the Newhouse end have been altered by the building of M8. Parts are now unclassified and a short section removed.
1930 A876 Great Western Road, Glasgow Lanarkshire • Dunbartonshire The 4 mile Glasgow Corporation section from Anniesland Cross to Duntocher was finally fully opened on 16 September 1930. Contractor was Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons. The final link was the Cloberhill Bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal built by Sir William Arrol & Co., and declared open by Lord Provost Kelly. The road , apart from 1200 yards around the bridge, had been open since 1927. It completed the 7.5 mile Boulevard giving a new link between Glasgow and Dunbarton. Cost was £450,000 with 500 workers. Renumbered as A82 in 1935.
1930 A947 Aberdeen Middle Ring Road Aberdeenshire Stage 5 - The final section of Anderson Drive between Carnegie Crescent and Cairnery Road was opened in November 1930. This completed the ring road and arrangements had been made with Ministry of Transport for it to be a First Class road upon opening. Later became part of A92.
1930 - Tre-Forgan Bypass Glamorgan The 0.4 mile new Pen-y-bont road north of Crynant was opened on 29 March 1930 by Councillor David Jeffries. Cost £6,000. It was on the unclassified road from A4109 to Ystradgynlais.
1931 A1 Chester-le-Street Bypass Durham The 2 mile long bypass was opened on 28 February 1931 by W.J. Merrett, County Surveyor. The road was 40 foot wide and included a girder bridge over Chester Burn which was 80 foot wide and had a span of 35 foot. Scheme cost was £120,812 of which 85 per cent was funded by the Ministry. Work had begun in September 1929 giving employment to 630 men. It was later renumbered as A167 with the northernmost 500m being B6290.
1931 A1 Ferrybridge Bypass Yorkshire First bypass for town. A half mile long deviation from south of River Aire bridge to the Doncaster Road south of town. Later renumbered as A162.
1931 A1 Carlton on Trent Bypass Nottinghamshire First bypass for village. A 0.75 mile long deviation on west side of village. Northernmost 500 feet became the B1164 southbound slip road to join A1.
1931 A153 Honington Bypass Lincolnshire Opened 1931 or early 1932.
1931 A1079 Ferensway, Hull Yorkshire The road was opened on 17 October 1931. It was 100 feet wide and set to become "the most noblest street in the north of England". The cost was £453,000 due to the slum clearances, but surplus land sales were set to cover it.
1931 A1114 Ipswich Bypass Suffolk London Road to Woodbridge Road East. The 3.5 mile road is first seen mentioned as open in August 1931. The section west of Tuddenham Road may have been completed earlier. Later renumbered as A12 then A1214. The eastern extension to Felixstowe Road first appears on the 1934 OS 10 mile map.
1931 A38 Kennford Bypass Devon The 1100 yard road was opened by Herbert Morrison, Minister of Transport, on 18 July 1931. The 60 foot road had a 30 foot carriageway and a 5 foot footpath on one side. Cost was £23,000. The narrow road through the village had no footpaths.
1931 A321 Whistley Green Bypass Berkshire The 0.25 mile road, north of Hurst, was opened on 20 October 1931 by Colonel F.G. Barker, Chairman of the County Highways Committee. It was 60 feet wide with a 20 foot carriageway and 5 foot footpath. It had a 3 inch tarmacadam surface on a 7 inch reinforced concrete foundation and included superelevation at 3 bends. The land was donated by Mrs Hodgson of Bill Hill.
1931 A371 Locking Bypass Somerset The 1.5 mile road opened in October 1931. It was 100 feet wide with a 27 foot carriageway and cost over £20,000.
1931 A373 Braunton Southern Approach Devon The 1 mile road, which cut through Wrafton, was opened on 23 July 1931. It was 60 feet wide with a 30 foot carriageway and 5 foot footpaths. Initially it was a reinforced concrete roadbed. Superelevation was provided for a speed of... 25mph. Work by County Council direct labour, cost £53,833. It completed the throughfare with the Northern Approach which had opened in 1923. Later became A361. The "Old Cross Tree" which had stood at the junction, and provided a meeting place for generations, was removed in February 1935.
1931 A374 Musbury Bypass Devon Opened on 9 February 1931 to bypass 2 dangerous corners between Axminster and Boshill Cross (then A35). The 40 foot road with 20 foot carriageway and footpath was built by County Council direct labour and cost £6,475. Later renumbered A358.
1931 A415 Benson Bypass Oxfordshire The 0.9 mile road from Elm Bridge, Oxford Road to Old London Road was opened on 21 March 1931 by Earl of Macclesfield, Chairman of South Oxon. Joint Town planning Committee. Cost £32,000 with a 30 foot carriageway. The road was renumbered to A423 by 1936. The through route was cut off at the eastern end by R.A.F. Benson, between 1945 and 1948 per OS maps with a new route built southwards from Church Road. The section west of Church Road was later renumbered A4074 and that eastwards became unclassified (St. Helen's Avenue).
1931 A428 Denton Bypass Northamptonshire Opened in January or February 1931. The concrete road bypassed 3 bends in the village.
1931 A473 Bridgend Bypass Glamorgan The 5 mile road was opened on 16 March 1931 by Lieut.-Col. D. Watts-Morgan, Chairman of Glamorgan County Council Roads and Bridges Committee. Cost was £133,000 of which the Ministry contributed £97,000. Sections west of the River Ogmore bridge and between Heronston and Coychurch had opened by January 1929. The section from Laleston to Heronston was renumbered A48 by 1934.
1931 A52 Radcliffe-on-Trent Bypass Nottinghamshire Opened by Sir Lancelot Rolleston, County Council Chairman, on 29 May 1931. Cost was about £30,000 for the 1.5 mile single carriageway concrete road
1931 A52 Whatton-in-the-Vale Nottinghamshire A 0.5 mile diversion to give a straighter and wider road through the village. Became unclassified after the bypass was built and now known as Old Grantham Road even though it is relatively recent.
1931 A6 Leicester Leicestershire The City Centre bypass opened 7 November 1931. Upper Charles Street and Charles Street connected London Road to Belgrave Gate. Part of a £1million street scheme. The official opening was on 24 June 1932 by the Lord Mayor of London.
1931 A606 Plumtree Nottinghamshire Opened by 1931. First part of joint bypass. The Normanton on the Wolds section was still under construction.
1931 A612 Burton Joyce and Bulcote Nottinghamshire Opened late 1931 or early 1932.
1931 A6135 Chapeltown Bypass Yorkshire The 2.5 mile Westwood New Road from Crown Inn, Penistone Road (A629) to Birdwell was reported open on 5 August 1931. It provided an alternative route from Sheffield to Barnsley, avoiding Chapeltown hill. It was 80 feet between fences and the estimated cost at the 1926 planning was £128,500. Later renumbered as A61. The northernmost 0.5 mile has become unclassified with a footpath bridge over M1 by J36.
1931 A82 Tyndrum - Bridge of Orchy Perthshire • Argyll The new road on the west side of Allt Kinglas river, the curved climb west of Clifton and upgrading between those sections were opened on 21 September 1931 and the old road closed. The first stage of the Tyndrum to Ballachulish improvement.
1931 B5381 Derby Outer Ring Road Derbyshire Harvey Road between Osmaston Road, Allenton (A514) and Shardlow Road, Alvaston (formerly A6). Later renumbered as A5111.
1931 - Whipsnade Bedfordshire • Hertfordshire The 0.75 mile road across Whipsnade Heath from Whipsnade to Kenworth opened on 23 May 1931. The Council Roads Committee had only received 6 months notice of the plan to open the Zoo on the Whit Monday, and the need for access for London traffic. They completed the road 2 days before the opening. Later numbered as B4540
1932 A1 Haddington Bypass East Lothian The 2 mile bypass had officially opened by May 1932, although still to be surfaced in parts. Later renumbered A199.
1932 A1 Bilsdean Glen and Dunglass Gorge Bypass East Lothian • Berwickshire The 1.3 mile road opened on 21 December 1932. The scheme replaced a sharp bend and old stone bridges over Bilsdean Glen and Dunglass Gorge near to Cockburnspath with a single span bridge over Dunglas Gorge. The contract was placed with Messrs. Crowley, Russell and Co Ltd, Glasgow. The roadway had a width of 30 feet. The bridge was a modern reinforced concrete construction with a single main arch of 162 feet and approach spans of 13 feet each either side. The centre of the main span was 35 feet above the gorge. The whole works cost £45,000 and employed 70 men for the two years of construction.
1932 A1 Stannington Northumberland The new road opened in October 1932. This bypassed the bends between the village and Stannington Bridge.
1932 A12 Chelmsford Bypass Essex The 3.25 mile original bypass was opened on 25 May 1932 by Prince George, youngest son of King George V. The new railway bridge and diversion at Widford was opened on 20 June 1932. Width was 60 feet with a 30 foot carriageway. Surface was 2 in. mastic asphalt on a 10 in. double reinforced concrete foundation. The bridge over the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal was of the arched soffit type with a 75 foot span. Work had commenced in September 1930 on the 4 separate contracts, total cost £200,000. Later renumbered A1114.
1932 A18 Thorne Levels to Crowle Road Lincolnshire • Yorkshire The 3 mile new High Levels Bank from just west of Dirtness Bridge to the A161 Crowle road was opened on 9 December 1932 by Lt-Col. C.M. Headlam, Parliamentary Secretary the Ministry of Transport. It bypassed the notorious "Double Dyke" stretch which ran between 2 dykes. Over 100 vehicles had been pulled out of them in the 2 years beforehand. Cost £54,000.
1932 A244 Leatherhead Bypass Surrey Section 1 from A244 Kingston Road to A24 Epsom Road opened on the weekend of 3/4 December 1932. Later renumbered to A245 and A243.
1932 A30 Basingstoke Bypass Hampshire Opened between 1 and 4 December 1932. Numbering between December 1932 and 1 April 1933, when it became A30, is unclear.
1932 A38 Langford Bypass Somerset The mile long bypass opened in June 1932. The opening had been delayed for 2 years by an elderly tenant who had refused to move for sentimental reasons and whose property blocked the last 40 yards onto the A38. It completed the Bristol to Exeter road widening scheme.
1932 A370 Bleadon Bypass Somerset The road from Anchor Inn to River Axe bridge was reported as open by Western Daily Press on 2 December 1932. Part of the Weston-super-Mare to East Brent improvement scheme.
1932 A405 North Orbital Road Hertfordshire The Watford Bypass to Hatfield (Barnet Bypass) section provided a southern bypass for St. Albans and was Hertfordshire's first section of the proposed London North Orbital Road from Colnbrook Bypass on A4 to Tilbury. The 10 mile road was new build apart from the 2.5 mile section of A412 between Garston Park and Chiswell Green. Contractor for the Chiswell Green to Hatfield section was Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons, tender price £302,836. Completion date was 1932 per a later Watford Borough Council document although it may be referring to the Watford end. A February 1935 newspaper report said that it had opened 2 or 3 years earlier. It first appears on the 1934 OS Ten Mile map. The section east of A5183 Watling Street later became A414.
1932 A437 Caerwent Bypass Monmouthshire The 1.25 mile road was opened on 3 October 1932 by the Earl of Plymouth. Cost £27,000. It was part of a 5 year upgrade to the Chepstow to Newport road. Later renumbered A48.
1932 A4141 Oxford Ring Road Berkshire Southern bypass - South Hinksey to Botley was officially opened on 28 June 1932. Later renumbered as A34.
1932 A5 St George's Bypass, Oakengates Shropshire An unemployment relief scheme.
1932 A51 Bromborough Bypass Cheshire Was shortly to open per a 6 January 1932 Liverpool Echo report. 730 yards through the grounds of Bromborough Hall. Later renumbered A41.
1932 A51 Great Sutton Bypass Cheshire The 0.35 mile road was under construction in November 1931 so likely to have been completed in 1932. Cost £13,673. Later renumbered A41.
1932 A55 Holywell Bypass Flintshire The 0.75 mile first bypass was opened on 29 June 1932 by Alderman William Buckley, Chairman of the County Roads Committee. General width between fences was 60 feet. Contractor was The Tarmac Company, cost £32,380. Later renumbered A5026.
1932 A6 Irthlingborough Bypass Northamptonshire It was reported on 28 October 1932 that a census taken 3 weeks after opening recorded 813 vehicles passing the village cross compared to 1747 a few weeks before the bypass opened.
1932 A6 Oadby Bypass Leicestershire The 0.7 mile single carriageway road from Glen Road to Regent Street was opened in January 1932 (per an accident inquest report of 1935) although there are reports of use in October 1931. Planned cost was £37,716. The road was dualled in late 1936/ early 1937.
1932 A6 High Hesket Bypass Cumberland The 0.8 mile road was open by May 1932. It may possibly have been completed in 1931, although work only started in June 1931. It was a part of a widening and improvement scheme from Plumpton to Carlisle, costing £98,700.
1932 A60 Costock Nottinghamshire Opened March 1932. A short quarter mile road to relieve the dangerous cross roads at Red Lion Inn.
1932 A61 Little Eaton - Coxbench Derbyshire Derby Road, a 1.5 mile bypass of Alfreton Road. Later renumbered B6179.
1932 A63 Loftsome Bridge Yorkshire The new bridge and approach roads one mile in length opened on 25 November 1932. Total cost £48,000.
1932 A63 North and South Cave Bypass Yorkshire The 2.75 mile concrete road opened on 23 December 1932. Width was 60 feet with a 30 foot carriageway and 5 foot footpath. Contractor was Messrs. F.W. Barker & Co. Ltd., Otley, cost £60,000.
1932 A65 Kirkby Lonsdale Bypass Westmorland The 1 mile road was opened on 3 December 1932 by Lady Bentinck of Underley Hall. It included the new Stanley Bridge over the River Lune, 200 yards south of the narrow medieval Devil’s Bridge. The new bridge was opened by Oliver Stanley, Minister for Home Affairs. Scheme cost was £50,000.
1932 A606 Normanton on the Wolds Nottinghamshire Opened early 1932 to complete the joint bypass with Plumtree village which was opened in 1931.
1932 A77 Fenwick Bypass Ayrshire An unemployment relief scheme along with the widening of the Glasgow to Kilmarnock road within Ayrshire. It included a flyover over the Stewarton road B778 since an at grade junction, with the Stewarton road emerging from a deep cutting, was considered too dangerous. Forecast cost was £30,715. Mentioned as new in a June 1932 local paper. Upgraded as part of M77 in 2005.
1932 A705 Salsburgh Bypass Lanarkshire The 1 mile road was part of the last contract section of the Edinburgh - Glasgow New Road. The balance of the contract was the upgrade of the Polkemmet to Newhouse existing road with a short diversion at Bankhead. Work started in 1930. Renumbered as A8 by 1935 and later as B7066.
1932 A8 Newbridge Bypass West Lothian • Midlothian A short 0.5 mile bypass section of the Edinburgh - Glasgow New Road. The opening was delayed by the construction of the bridge over the River Almond. This had 2 reinforced concrete arches of 60 feet, was 82 feet between parapets and faced with ashlar masonry. Later renumbered as A89.
1932 A82 Kingshouse - Glencoe Argyll The new road on the south side of River Coe from 0.6 mile east of Clachaig Inn to Glencoe village and upgrading eastwards to Kingshouse were fully opened in September 1932. The second stage of the Tyndrum to Ballachulish improvement. The section west of Studdy Hill had opened in 1931.
1932 A813 Balloch Bypass Dunbartonshire Lomand Road: 0.9 mile from Luss Road to Stirling Road. Work had started in July 1931 and there is mention of the new road in an accident report of July 1932 in The Scotsman. Cost £56,000. It included Lomand Bridge over River Leven. Later renumbered A811.
1932 A994 Glen Bridge, Dunfermline Fife The contract to build was awarded in 1930, and the bridge opened in 1932.
1932 B688 Epperstone Bypass Nottinghamshire The mile long road was opened informally on 6 October 1932 by Sir Lancelot Rolleston, Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council. It took 18 months to construct and cost £18,000. Later renumbered A6097.
1932 B5381 Derby Outer Ring Road Derbyshire Kenilworth Avenue extension between Derby Lane and Village Street, Normanton to join Newdigate Street. Later renumbered as A5111.
1932 - Nottingham Outer Ring Road Nottinghamshire 3rd section. Western Boulevard, north part opened April 1932 from Old Basford Church to the A610 Nuthall Road, Aspley. The Radford railway bridge to connect this section to the 1st section was completed by November 1932. Later became part of A614 and currently A6514
1932 - Nottingham Outer Ring Road Nottinghamshire 4th section. Western Boulevard, south part opened on 21st November 1932 from A610 Nuthall Road, Aspley to the A609 Wollaton Road. Opened by John Pybus, Minister of Transport. This completed the Ring Road from A60 to A52. Later became part of A614 and currently A6514
1932 - Northop Bypass Flintshire Southern bypass of High Street, became A55 later. Messrs. Tarmac of Wolverhampton were given the work in December 1930 with a tender of £60,621. It may have opened in 1931. This was one of 3 simultaneous Council projects: Holywell bypass opened in 1932; widening of A55 between Northop and Ewloe. It was later renumbered B5126 east of Northop Road and unclassified westwards after the opening of the dual carriageway bypass in 1989.
1932 - Nuneaton Warwickshire Newtown Road, a northern bypass for A47 traffic from Corporation Street to Bond Street, was opened on 27 September 1932 by Major F.C. Cook, Chief Assistant Engineer to Ministry of Transport and a former Nuneaton Borough Engineer. It was 50 feet wide and included a bridge over the River Anker. Later part of the Ringway and renumbered A444.
1932 - Lambeth Bridge Middlesex Opened by King George V on 19 July 1932.
1933 A12 A133 Colchester Bypass Essex The 3.75 mile original bypass from Lexdon to Greenstead was opened on 29 June 1933 by Viscount Ullswater. Work had commenced in May 1930. Cost £292,000. It was claimed that the aggregate of granite in the asphalt surface would make it skidproof. Later fully renumbered A133.
1933 A12 Woodbridge Bypass Suffolk The 4 mile bypass was opened in 1933. The asphalt surfacing contract was granted in July 1933 with work to be completed within 15 weeks.
1933 A18 Scunthorpe Kingsway and Queensway Lincolnshire Opened and named on 26 October 1933 by Prince George. Cost £120,000. A 3rd and final section of the 3 mile road opened on 28 August 1934 but it is unclear as to which part this related to. The A18 had previously followed the route of B1450.
1933 A24 Leatherhead Bypass Surrey Part of section 2 from A24 Epsom Road to unclassified Headley Road opened 31 July 1933.
1933 A27 Titchfield Bypass Hampshire The 0.7 mile bypass was opened on 1 October 1933. Average width was 30 feet. Construction had taken just over a year and cost was £40,000.
1933 A259 Pevensey Levels Straightening Sussex Pevensey Bridge to Hill Farm (formerly Constable's Farm), 3.5 miles. Fully open by October 1933 (bus operating licence for route granted). The section east of The Lamb PH is mentioned as complete in a farm compensation case in April 1933. Work had started in February 1931. Sections may have opened in 1932. The excavator used for the 32 foot wide and 60 foot deep cutting at Barnham Hill was known as “Hungry Harry” since its appetite never failed! A 4 mile railway track to Pevensey was used to take the 96,000 tons of spoil for banking and levelling purposes. Contractor was Messrs. Tileman of London, forecast cost was £136,000. The original scheme included a bypass for Pevensey and Westham but this was dropped when Hastings Borough Council would not make a contribution.
1933 A34 Walton, by Stone Staffordshire A direct route from Stafford Road to The Fillybrooks to remove dog leg at A520 Eccleshall Road. Also included widening of The Fillybrooks for half mile north to railway bridge. Cost £37,109
1933 A38 Ashburton Bypass Devon The mile long road was opened on 17 June 1933 by Major G.S.S. Strode, Chairman of Devon County Council Roads Committee. Cost was £40,000. Trade was reduced in the town following opening.
1933 A38 Alveston Bypass Gloucestershire The 0.3 mile bypass of the dangerous Alveston hairpin was opened on the weekend of 30 September 1933. The southern part of the old road became part of B4061 and northern part named Old Gloucester Road.
1933 A309 Hampton Court Bridge Middlesex Opened by the Prince of Wales.
1933 A316 Chiswick Bridge Middlesex Opened by the Prince of Wales.
1933 A316 Twickenham Bridge Middlesex Opened by the Prince of Wales.
1933 A378 Exeter Bypass Devon Stage 1 from Pinhoe to Hill Barton railway bridge was completed in September 1933. A widened section of Hill Barton Lane was used to join the A30 Honiton Road at Heavitree. Contractor was Kings Asphalt Ltd. with tender price at £25,786 18s 2d .The widening of the railway bridge was completed in April 1934. Renumbered A38 on opening of full bypass in 1938 and later as B3181.
1933 A453 Beeston Bypass Nottinghamshire Opened March 1933. Connected to Chilwell bypass in the west.
1933 A4056 Cardiff Western Avenue Glamorgan Opened 11 July 1933 by Alderman C.F. Sanders, Lord Mayor. The 2.1 miles from A48 Cowbridge Road to A470 North Road included Cathedral Bridge over the River Taff. It was referred to as the Orbital Road. Later renumbered A48.
1933 A5 Shrewsbury Bypass Shropshire The 3 mile original bypass was opened on 23 May 1933 by the Princess Royal at a ceremony at the Shelton end. It was 60 foot wide with a 30 foot carriageway and cost £130,000. It employed 100 men for 2 years.
1933 A6 Ashford-in-the-Water Derbyshire The bypass was opened on 6 February 1933 by the Duke of Devonshire. Cost was £27,234
1933 A6123 Rotherham bypass Yorkshire Herringthorpe Valley Road. The 2 mile road was opened on 5 August 1933 by the Earl of Harewood, Lord Lieutenant of the West Riding. Together with the existing East and West Bawtry Roads (A631) it gave a bypass for Doncaster to Sheffield traffic.
1933 A82 Bridge of Orchy - Kingshouse Argyll The 12 mile new road east of Loch Tulla and across Rannoch Moor was opened at the end of May 1933. The third and final stage of the Tyndrum to Ballachulish improvement, costing £0.5 million in total for the 32 miles. The tarmacadam road was generally 18 feet wide and 20 feet on the bends and built with sightlines of 100 yards ahead. Major W. Hunt was in charge of the undertaking.
1933 B4275 Mountain Ash to Aberdare Glamorgan The 3 mile road was opened on 26 January 1933 with 4 separate opening ceremonies. The carriageway was 20 feet wide and it was built along the line of the old Aberdare Canal. Cost £51,000. Later renumbered A4059.
1933 B5381 Derby Outer Ring Road Derbyshire Broadway, Queensway and Kingsway between Duffield Road (A6) and Uttoxeter New Road (A516) opened in January 1933. It completed the Ring Road section from A6 north to A6 south. Later renumbered as A5111.
1934 A18 Althorpe Bypass Lincolnshire The 2 mile road was open in January 1934. It was 80 feet wide with a 22 foot carriageway, and included a mile of reconstruction of the road westwards to Pilfrey Bridge. Cost £54,000.
1934 A177 Shincliffe Bypass Durham An improvement of the existing Back Lane, now named Willow Tree Avenue. The 0.4 mile bypass was opened in March 1934.
1934 A1011 Silvertown Way, London Docks Essex The 1.5 mile road from A13 East India Dock Road to the Royal Docks was opened on 13 September 1934 by Leslie Hore-Belisha, Minister of Transport. Cost was £2.856 million, 75% funded by the Ministry. A new estate was built a mile away to replace the 600 houses demolished in making the road. A mile of the Silvertown section of road was built on a viaduct and has later been renumbered A1020.
1934 A22 Willingdon Bypass Sussex Opened on 19 May 1934. 0.9 miles. Part of the Eastbourne approach improvement scheme, from north of Polegate to Victoria Drive, costing £170,000. Later renumbered A2270.
1934 A24 Leatherhead Bypass Surrey The remainder of section 2 from unclassified Headley Road to A24 Dorking Road opened in June 1934 (see 1933 entry also). Estimated cost of section 2 was £131,150.
1934 A3 Guildford and Godalming Bypass Surrey The nine mile road was opened by Leslie Hore-Belisha, Minister of Transport, on 27 July 1934. The bypass ran from Milford to Boxgrove with an A246 spur (Boxgrove Road) between Boxgrove and Merrow. The bypass included 6 bridges over or under the Southern Railway, Hog's Back, River Wey and Pilgrims' Way and cost was just under £400,000. The Minister declared that there would be no danger, like some earlier bypasses, of converting it into a street and he was considering whether the prevention of Ribbon Development legislation was sufficient. The section from Woodbridge to Merrow was later renumbered A25.
1934 A40 Oxford Ring Road Oxfordshire Northern Bypass Stage 1 - Wolvercote Roundabout (A34 later renumbered A44) to Headington was opened in July 1934.
1934 A59 Maghull Bypass Lancashire The 2.25 mile road was opened by Leslie Hore-Belisha, Minister of Transport, on 4 December 1934. Work had commenced in 1930 but was suspended in 1931 due to the financial crisis, then resumed in June 1933. Width was 60 feet with a 30 foot carriageway and 6 foot footpaths. The canal bridge was 60 feet wide with a clear span of 52 feet. Cost £170,000.
1934 A580 Liverpool - East Lancashire Road Lancashire Opened by King George V on 18 July 1934.
1934 A583 Kirkham Bypass Lancashire The 1.75 mile road was opened by Leslie Hore-Belisha, Minister of Transport, on 4 December 1934. Work had commenced in February 1931 but was suspended in September 1931 due to the financial crisis, then resumed in August 1933. The road was divided into 10 sections to test different surface materials. Cost £92,000.
1934 A6 Blackrod Bypass Lancashire The 2.25 mile bypass was opened on 20 April 1934 by Oliver Stanley, Minister of Transport. Width was 60 feet with a 30 foot carriageway. Amazingly, it was reported that the cost was £50,000 less than the £130,000 estimate, due to the efficient work of the unemployed men of Blackrod.
1934 B6383 Barnoldswick - Kelbrook Yorkshire A 1.75 mile direct road from Barnoldswick to A56 (Colne - Skipton road) that took 12 years to build. Opened on 25 October 1934 by Sir John Quarmby, Chairman of West Riding Highways Committee. It had reached Salterforth by 1927.
1934 - Queensway (Mersey) Tunnel Lancashire • Cheshire Opened by King George V on 18 July 1934.
1935 A161 Rawcliffe Yorkshire The new road was to remove 5 sharp turns over a mile of road to the north east of the village. Work started in 1931 but was stopped in March 1932 due to spending cuts. Work resumed in April 1933 but was not finally completed until 1935. Later renumbered A614.
1935 A27 Romsey Bypass Hampshire A report on 5 January 1935 stated that By Pass Road was open. It may have opened in late 1934. The junctions at either end were described as "Like mazes at Hampton Court" by Lord Mount Temple and Romsey Chamber of Trade also called for improvements and improved signs indicating the way into town. In April 1936 a roadside first aid station, one of the first in the south, was opened on the bypass by the town's St. John Ambulance Brigade.
1935 A30 Egham Bypass Surrey The mile long road was to open on 26 October 1935 without ceremony. The road cut through the edge of Runnymede, the scene of the signing of the Magna Carta, of which the land had become owned by National Trust in 1929. Sir Edwin Lutyens, who had designed the Runnymede entrances, agreed to suggest a treatment of the bypass road in harmony with them. Cost £67,000.
1935 A370 Uphill bypass Somerset The mile long road was opened on 1 August 1935 by Sir Frank Beauchamp, Chairman of the Works Committee of Somerset County Council. It was the last section of the new arterial road, costing £101,135, from Weston-super-Mare to East Brent, with widenings of existing roads and deviations constructed. £156,000 had also been spent on the road from Weston to Bristol.
1935 A378 Exeter Bypass Devon Stage 2 from Hill Barton railway bridge to A377 at Countess Wear was opened on 27 April 1935. It included a flyover at A30 Honiton Road at Heavitree. Contractor was Staverton Builders Ltd. with tender price at £70,844 1s 11d. Light traffic could continue on the existing narrow road over Countess Weir Bridge and Exeter Canal Bridge to A379 at Matford. Renumbered A38 on opening of full bypass in 1938 and later as B3181, A3015 & A379.
1935 A40 Oxford Northern Bypass Oxfordshire Northern Bypass Stage 2 - Eynsham to Wolvercote Roundabout (A34 later renumbered A44) was open in 1935. AA traffic reports warned of road surfacing and kerbing in August 1935.
1935 A50 Warrington Bypass Lancashire • Cheshire Kingsway South and Kingsway North from Knutsford Road to A57 Manchester Road. A report on a 31 August 1935 accident described the bypass as just opened. The Coroner reported on the absence of a “Major Road Ahead” sign at the Manchester Road junction, which had been erected by the time of the later inquest. It included Kingsway Bridge over the River Mersey and may have opened in late 1934. The former B5211 from A57 to A49 was used for the northern part of the bypass.
1935 A63 Barlby Bypass Yorkshire 0.3 mile bypass to the south of the village. Later unclassified
1935 B1398 Scampton Diversion Lincolnshire Diversion for re-opening and extension of RAF Scampton
1935 B3174 Seaton - Beer Diversion Devon The new road, built further inland, from Seaforth Lodge to Bunt's Corner was opened on 9 September 1935. This was due to cliff erosion. Old Beer Road continued as a minor throughfare until 2012 when part collapsed and it was closed.
1935 B4055 Westbury-on-Trym Bypass Gloucestershire Falcondale Road was opened in stages. Westbury Road to Stoke Lane was open in 1932. Canford Lane to Henbury Road was authorised in July 1933. A 1935 Britainfromabove,org.uk aerial photograph shows it as complete to Passage Road. It was possibly completed earlier in 1934. Later became part of A4018.
1935 - West Appledore Bypass Devon Torridge Road. Opened May 1935.
1935 - Wrangle bypass Lincolnshire A short bypass to remove 3 dangerous corners on the Boston to Skegness road. Initially unclassified and not part of the then A154. Later renumbered as A52.
1936 A22 Polegate Bypass Sussex The 0.55 mile road from Hailsham Road to Lewes Road opened on 9 April 1936. It included a railway bridge over the Southern Railway, so avoiding the level crossing in the village. Part of the Eastbourne approach improvement scheme, from north of Polegate to Victoria Drive, costing £170,000. Later became an A22 A27 multiplex.
1936 A378 Exeter Bypass Devon Countess Wear Swing Bridge was opened on 19 February 1936. Miss Shorland, who had been keeper of the old bridge for 20 years, operated a switch and the 600 tons of the bridge moved into position. A representative of the contractor drove a car over and the bridge was open. This was part of the stage 3 improvements between A377 at Countess Weir to A379 at Matford and onwards to Peamore. Renumbered A38 on opening of full bypass in 1938 and later as A379.
1936 A46 Newark: Lincoln Road Bridge Nottinghamshire The 0.4 mile diverted road and new bridge over the East Coast Main Line railway was opened in July 1936. Later renumbered B6166.
1936 A412 North Orbital Road Hertfordshire A further 2 miles from the West Hyde County boundary to Maple Cross completed the Denham to Rickmansworth section of the proposed London North Orbital Road from Colnbrook Bypass on A4 to Tilbury.
1936 A695 Crawcrook Diversion Durham A 0.45 mile diversion at the west end of the village. Width was 50 feet with a 30 foot carriageway, 6 foot footpaths and verges. Former road renamed Old Main Street. The Ministry grant was approved in July 1935. There is an A.A. report that it was under construction in June 1936. It may have opened in 1937. Expected cost £27,000. Later renumbered B6317.
1936 A917 Kilrenny Bypass Fife The 350 yard road opened in early 1936. Traffic could now avoid the narrow twisting "Smithy Brae". The villagers petition failed to bring back the bus service into the village from the new route on the bypass.
1936 A977 Kincardine Bridge Fife • Stirlingshire Opened by Lord Elgin, Lord Mar and Kellie, and Charles Horsbrugh (respectively Conveners of the counties of Fife, Clackmannan, and Stirling) on 29 October 1936. It had the largest swing span of any bridge in Europe. Renumbered as A876 by 1956 then A985 in 2008 upon the opening of the adjacent Clackmannanshire Bridge.
1936 A5117 Helsby - Shotwick Cheshire The 9 mile road was opened on 18 July 1936 by Leslie Hore-Belisha, Minister of Transport. Cost £375,000, 75% funded by Ministry. Average daily labour was 104. An "invisible ray" car timing device was demonstrated to the Minister (who did 36.6mph). This consisted of 2 pairs of tripods and lenses facing each other at a distance of a mile and was the idea of Geoffrey Scrimgeour, Clerk to Cheshire County Council.
1937 A337 Cadnam Bypass Hampshire The north-south bypass opened on 30 March 1937 and was a diversion to the dangerous crossroads with A336 Old Lyndhurst Road. The part south of the old crossroads was closed and allowed to revert to forest. Part of the bypass had opened by September 1936. Forecast cost was £19,000. The northern part was later renumbered A31
1937 A361 Knowle Bypass Devon The southern village bypass section opened on 1 July 1937 on the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe tourist route. There was to be further widening northwards through the village to make 0.8 miles in total. Cost £30,000.
1937 A384 Totnes Northern Bypass Devon Coronation Road was officially opened on 12 May 1937 by Capt. F.J.C. Holdsworth, Mayor. It had opened a week earlier. With the existing Station Road it provided a bypass from A385 Totnes Bridge to A384 Ashburton Road. Later renumbered A385.
1937 A57 Bishop's Bridge, Lincoln Lincolnshire The new bridge and deviation to avoid an awkward bend was opened on 7 July 1937 by J.E. Fordham, Mayor of Lincoln. The bridge had a 30 foot carriageway and footpaths, a total of 45 feet between parapets. Cost £13,666.
1937 A57 Saxilby Bypass Lincolnshire The 700 yard road was opened on 15 September 1937 by Lord Heneage, Charman of Lindsey County Council. It had taken 2 years to construct, employed 80 men and cost £47,000. It included ferro-concrete bridges over Fossdyke Canal and the railway of 40 foot width and with skew spans of 57 feet and 97 feet respectively. The carriageway was 24 foot wide with 5 foot footpaths.
1937 A59 Aughton Bypass Lancashire The 1.6 mile road (north of Maghull Bypass) was opened on 26 May 1937 by the Earl of Derby. It comprised of 2 diversions and had a 120 foot width with dual 22 foot carriageways, two 9 foot cycle-tracks and two 6 foot footpaths. The central reservation was 22 foot wide to allow for third lanes to be added later. Surfacing was 12 inch thick concrete on 9 inches of shale. Cost £62,453.
1937 A631 Scaftworth Bypass Nottinghamshire The 0.3 mile road was completed by August 1937 following grants being received in April 1936.
1937 A675 Hoghton Diversion Lancashire The 0.3 mile scheme was to build a diversion and bridge over the railway to replace the level crossing, cost £40,000. Work started in 1935. An accident report in August 1937 described the road as new, although it may have been completed in late 1936.
1937 B1242 Aldbrough Yorkshire Castle Hill diversion opened on 3 March 1937. The 200 yard concrete road removed 2 dangerous corners.
1937 - Chelsea Bridge Middlesex Opened by Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, on 6 May 1937.
1938 A1 Darrington Yorkshire The 0.7 mile dual carriageway from Spitalgap Lane to just south of the Darrington Crossroads with Estcourt Road was described as a trial section in one newspaper report. It included a short deviation south of Leys Road to remove the double bend on the then crossroads. Carriageways were 22 feet wide flanked by two 6 feet footpaths. Estimated cost was £30,000. The section south of Estcourt Road (Old Great North Road) has since been bypassed and used as a slip road.
1938 A24 Findon Bypass Sussex One carriageway was opened for use on 25 January 1938. The second carriageway was opened for Easter (15 to 18 April 1938).
1938 A24 Mickleham Bypass Surrey The 2.4 mile dual carriageway was fully open in June 1938 and included the section northwards from Mickleham Corner to Leatherhead Bypass which had opened by 4 March 1938. The carriageways were 22 feet wide and 20 feet apart, cyclepaths were 9 feet wide. The new bridge over the River Mole at Burford had an 80 foot span and was 100 foot wide. Scheme cost was £125,500.
1938 A30 Sutton Scotney Northern Bypass Hampshire A report stated in January 1938 that the 0.4 mile By Pass Road would be completed in the year. Forecast cost was £32,500 with a new bridge under the railway.
1938 A31 Ringwood Bypass Hampshire The 1 mile road opened on 21 March 1938. Forecast cost was £75,637. The 3 junctions were indicated by island refuges illuminated with "keep left" signposts. A section of the bypass was used for testing different types of expansion joint and dowel bars. A 300 yard section without expansion joints had serious cracks, before the road opened, due to concrete shrinkage and proved that expansion joints were an absolute necessity.
1938 A38 Exeter Bypass Devon Stage 3 from A377 Countess Wear to Peamore was opened by Leslie Burgin, Minister of Transport, on 22 February 1938 in an official opening of the full bypass. Total cost for the 5 mile bypass had been £230,000 of which £190,000 was funded by the Ministry. Stage 3 included a new steel swing bridge at Countess Wear and a reconstructed bridge over the River Exe. It included a section of multiplex with A379. Later renumbered as A379.
1938 A38 Erdington Bypass Warwickshire Sutton New Road. The half mile road was opened for road traffic on 21 October 1938 by E.R. Canning, Lord Mayor of Birmingham. Width was 110 feet incorporating dual 24 foot carriageways, footpaths, and a central tramway reservation (first tram use was on 25 September). Cost £110,000. The Lord Mayor received, as a momento, a silver table lighter fashioned after a traffic island beacon. He said it would remind him of Hore-Belisha. Later renumbered A5127.
1938 A39 Pilton Bypass Devon The 0.8 mile bypass opened on 3 August 1938. It was 60 feet wide with a 30 foot concrete carriageway and 5 foot footpaths. Maximum gradient 1 in 17. Special kerbstones were fitted which gave a line of red lights on the near side and white on the right, as used previously in North Devon. It included a 48 foot span, 5 arch bridge over the River Yeo of reinforced concrete faced with granite.
1938 A45 Coventry Southern Bypass Warwickshire Some sections opened earlier than the 1939 entry.
1938 A57 Elkesley Bypass Nottinghamshire The 800 yard scheme was for an 80 foot road containing a dual carriageway and a footpath on the south side. A further 1300 yards eastwards extension of the dual carriageway would take it to just before Twyford Bridge where there was a short single carriageway diversion. It would remove 5 dangerous bends. Cost of the two schemes was £27,000. Opened during 1938 or before 7 February 1939. Later renumbered as A1.
1938 A565 Formby Bypass Lancashire The 4 mile road between Woodvale and North End Farm was opened on 10 December 1938 by Lord Derby. It bypassed 15 right-angle bends. The 120 foot width included dual 22 foot carriageways, 22 foot grass central reservation, 9 foot cycle tracks and 6 foot footpaths. The carriageways had permanent traffic lines, marked by grooves in the concrete. Each groove was 3 feet long, contained 3 red studs and were spaced 6 feet apart. To test types the westerly carriageway had metal studs and the easterly had rubber studs with one being of the depressable reflex type. The road concrete was laid 12 inches deep in 45 foot lengths from a machine that produced a ton every 2 minutes, enough for 300 cubic yards a day. Contractor was Turner (Ardwick) Ltd. of Manchester. Cost £195,463.
1938 A567 Litherland - Maghull Lancashire The 2.4 mile road from Orrell Road to the (now closed) railway line, just north of Switch Island, was opened on 19 July 1938 by the Earl Of Sefton, who had donated the land where the road crossed his Estate. Width was 120 feet with dual 22 foot carriageways, service roads, cycle tracks and a wide central reservation to allow carriageway widening to 30 feet. Cost £129,729. It provided better access to Liverpool and Bootle docks. Later renumbered A5036. It included a short link from A59 to Switch Island costing £10,170.
1938 A5111 Derby Outer Ring Road Derbyshire Raynesway, between Shardlow Road, Alvaston (formerly A6) and the Nottingham Road at Chaddesden (formerly A52), was opened by Alderman Edward Paulson, Mayor of Derby, on 28 September 1938. The final section linking the Nottingham road and the Ring Road start at Duffield Road was never built.
1938 A614 Nottingham Outer Ring Road Nottinghamshire 5th section. Clifton Boulevard, north part (originally Abbey Boulevard) opened from the A52 Derby Road at Wollaton to the current A6005 Beeston Road at Dunkirk. Currently numbered A6514
1938 A620 North Wheatley Bypass Nottinghamshire Construction started on the 0.7 mile road in January 1937. It may have opened later than 1938. It is shown on a Barthomews map of 1942. It was 100 feet wide with dual 20 foot carriageways, cycle tracks and footpaths. Cost £20,400
1938 A631 Beckingham Bypass Nottinghamshire The 0.7 mile south-west section from Church Street to Bar Road was opened on 10 December 1938. Scheme cost was £20,000. The other sections were opened later.
1938 A85 Longforgan - Invergowrie Angus Dualling, later renumbered to A90 in 1994
1938 B2149 Havant Northern Bypass Hampshire New Road between West Street and Leigh Road opened on 10 March 1938. The level crossing on North Street was also closed. Forecast cost was £100,000. There was a public enquiry into a 1 mile extension eastwards to Warblington in December 1938. The section was never built.
1938 B6447 Griffin Arterial Road, Blackburn Lancashire
1938 - Bolton Bypass Lancashire 3rd section - Moss Bank Way from B6402 Old Kiln Lane to Berkeley Road. The 2.5 mile road opened on 9 December 1938. Cost £105,000. It completed the Bolton bypass but some stretches of existing unimproved road had to be used. At the west, Victoria Road and the recent Stapleton Avenue connected Beaumont Road to Moss Bank Way. At the north, a short stretch of Berkeley Road and then Cavendish Street connected Moss Bank Way to Crompton Way. No road number was shown on the 1938 OS 6 inch map. Later renumbered A58.
1938 Braithwaite Bypass Yorkshire The 550 yard road, west of Keighley, was opened on 19 November 1938 by Alderman T Duerden, Mayor of Keighley. Cost just under £6,000. The bypassed village road had attracted national interest due to a 9 foot wide section being on a bus route that gave just 2 inches spare on each side between bus and buildings.
1938 Derby Inner Ring Road Derbyshire Traffic Street between the then A6 London Road and Morledge was opened by Sir Harry Twyford, Lord Mayor of London, on 24 February 1938. It linked to existing roads to form a bypass route. Cost £62,226. Renumbered later as A601.
1938 Gloucester Eastern Bypass Gloucestershire 2nd section. Eastern Avenue, between Barnwood Road and Tredworth Road to join the 1927 Finlay Road section. The 120 foot road had dual carriageways of 20 feet each, a 30 foot central reservation and 5 foot footpaths. Work had begun in 1936 at a forecast cost of £56,000. Later renumbered A38.
1938 Greasby Bypass Cheshire 0.5 mile Frankby Road. Work was to start in November 1936. Opened by November 1938. Later became B5139 (OS 1 inch New Popular Edition showed it still through the village).
1939 A22 Caterham Bypass Surrey The 1.7 mile road opened on 7 April 1939. Scheme cost was £72,000. It included a new type of roundabout in a site prone to flooding. The carriageways were on an embankment and 4 pedestrian subways at ground level linked to the converging roads. The elevated roundabout was 50 feet in diameter.
1939 A23 Crawley Bypass Sussex The 2.5 mile road opened on 9 July 1939, cost £200,000. Newspapers reported that road worker Thomas Sutton opened the road then went home for breakfast, but this was not true since there were 95 men working at the time and 3 sets of barriers to remove.
1939 A27 North Lancing Bypass Sussex The dual carriageway opened in September 1939.
1939 A27 Sompting Bypass Sussex Opened on 22 December 1939, cost £50,000. Only the section between Busticle Lane and Church Lane was completed as dual carriageway at that stage.
1939 A43 , A421 Gosford (Kidlington) - Bicester Oxfordshire A 7 mile road straightening scheme which included the Wendlebury Bypass. Different sections were under construction in 1938 and 1939. On 1 September 1939 tarmac was being layed at Wendlebury and the new road was still under construction at Gosford, by Kidlington. Construction may have carried on after 1939, although the new road is shown on the 1939 OS Ten Mile map. Anticipated cost in 1936 was £100,000. It was later renumbered as A34 and A41 either side of M40, with the Gosford end becoming unclassified.
1939 A45 Coventry Southern Bypass Warwickshire The 7 mile bypass between Allesley and Willenhall was fully opened in October 1939 without an official opening. Some sections had temporary surfacing as completion works continued. There were still some single carriageway sections at Fletchampstead Highway and approaching London Road. Cost £300,000.
1939 A46 Caistor Bypass Lincolnshire The 1 mile bypass was opened on 29 May 1939 in advance of the bank holiday traffic. Work was not fully complete but continued afterwards as the road remained open. It avoided the village road which was 17 feet in places and the 1 in 10 hill. The bypass gradient was 1 in 20. It was 44 feet wide with a 22 foot carriageway and footpath. Cost £45,000.
1939 A133 Weeley Bypass Essex The 0.6 mile road opened in July 1939. Included in the contract was a new 3 span reinforced concrete railway bridge with 5 approach spans to replace the level crossing south of the village. Overall length was 425 feet and width 72 feet. Contractor was J.L.Eve (Construction) Co, Ltd, tender cost £24,738. Later renumbered B1441.
1939 A421 Bicester Bypass Oxfordshire Queen's Avenue opened in 1939 per the 1959 book "History of the County of Oxford". The 0.25 mile road between King's End and Field Street bypassed the town centre and was named Queen's Avenue in 1953 in commemoration of the Coronation. It later became unclassified.
1939 A560 Timperley Bypass Cheshire The December 1937 tender notice was for a 2000 lin. yards (1.15 miles) road including concrete carriageway, ballasted service roads, cycletracks, footpaths, culvert and a new bridge over the Cheshire Lines Railway, skew span 29 feet. The new bypass was mentioned in a building land advert in Manchester Evening News on 3 March 1939, although in a BBC Peoples' War transcription it is described as unfinished in September 1939.
1939 A631 Gringley-on-the-Hill Bypass Nottinghamshire Construction started on the 0.9 mile road in January 1937. Further work on the bypass was authorised by the Council in February 1939. It may have opened later than 1939. It is shown on a Barthomews map of 1942.
1939 B584 Fenny Drayton Bypass Leicestershire The Midland Counties Tribune report of 5 May 1939 stated that the remaining work was expected to take 4 months and a 1952 report stated that it had opened "just before the war". The 650 yard concrete road removed 3 dangerous bends. Width 80 feet with 20 foot carriageway. Expected cost £5,287. Later renumbered A444.
1939 B688 Lowdham Bypass Nottinghamshire A 1 mile dual carriageway. Contractor was Messrs. Fletcher and Co., Mansfield, cost £15,328. The section south of A612 was A6097 on opening. The northern section was later renumbered A6097.
1939 - Northwich Bypass Cheshire Stage 1 - the 3 mile middle section between School Lane, Hartford and B5309 King Street, Broken Cross was opened for Whitsuntide at the end of May 1939. It was 120 feet wide with dual 22 foot carriageways, 9 foot cyclepaths and 6 foot footpaths on each side, although just one carriageway bridge over the River Weaver had been built at that stage. The work continued. Contract cost £212,295. Later renumbered A556.

Other changes in 1930s

There was a major revision of the road numbering scheme in the mid-1930s, which was implemented on 1 April 1935. This is the only countrywide revision to have taken place in the history of British road numbering - all other changes have been implemented piecemeal.

The following handwritten changes dated 1/4/35 appear on the 1928/29 edition of MoT Road Map sheet 38 covering the Southampton, Portsmouth and Salisbury areas:

  • A27 rerouted between West End and Park Gate via Bursledon; old route becomes A3051
  • B2147 North Street, Emsworth renumbered B2148
  • B2148 between Horndean and Rowland's Castle renumbered B2149
  • B3003 renumbered B3002 (extension)
  • B3005 renumbered B3006 (extension)
  • B3033 renumbered A333 (extension)
  • B3055 extended from Brockenhurst to Hinton Admiral
  • B3056 number reallocated to Lyndhurst to Beaulieu road
  • B3077 renumbered B3079 (extension)
  • B3385 number allocated to Fareham to Lee-on-the-Solent road

Isle of Wight




Network changes - 1930s
Historical Information
1922 Road Lists Class IZone 1 • Zone 2 • Zone 3 • Zone 4 • Zone 5 • Zone 6 • Zone 7 • Zone 8 • Zone 9 • Northern Ireland
1922 Road Lists Class IIZone 1 • Zone 2 • Zone 3 • Zone 4 • Zone 5 • Zone 6 • Zone 7 • Zone 8 • Zone 9 • Northern Ireland
1935 Road numbering revisionZone 1 • Zone 2 • Zone 3 • Zone 4 • Zone 5 • Zone 6 • Zone 7 • Zone 8 • Zone 9
Republic of Ireland1977 Road Lists
Mass renumbering schemes1922 Draft Road Lists • 1924 A1 Renumbering • 1920s South Buckinghamshire Renumbering • 1933 A30 Renumbering • 1933 Scotland Renumbering Proposals • 1934 A82 Renumbering • Tyneside Renumberings • Motorway linked Renumberings • Republic of Ireland T and L roads
Network Changes1700-1799 • 1800-1899 • 1900-1909 • 1910-1919 • 1920-1929 • 1930-1939 • 1940-1949 • 1950-1959 • 1960-1969 • 1970-1979 • 1980-1989 • 1990-1999 • 2000-2009 • 2010-2019 • 2020-2029


SABRE - The Society for All British and Irish Road Enthusiasts
Home - Discuss - Digest - Discover - Help