New Bridge (Curry Moor)
|Location Map ( geo)|
The New Bridge on Curry Moor is a rather unusual structure, in that it includes a set of sluice gates on the upstream side of the road. The bridge and sluice were constructed after 1960 and have become the tidal limit of the Tone, which was formerly tidal for another mile or so to Knapp Bridge. The bridge is built from concrete, and consists of 4 short spans across the river, although this is more to do with the width of the sluices than a need to support the deck so often. Much of the concrete piers and sluice have been stained red by the mud in the water, with the River Tone draining a large area with Red Sandstone bedrock.
The road is slightly humped over the bridge, although again this seems to be related to the need to lift the deck up for the sluice gates. It is only just wide enough for two way traffic, and whilst the road is very quiet, in practice traffic tends to hold back if it sees oncoming vehicles.
Just over a mile upstream from New Bridge, and no longer open to traffic, Knapp Bridge was built in 1820 and is a single-span masonry structure on the site of an older bridge. Indeed, in 1707 the Conservators of the river replaced a shoal with lock gates nearby to maintain the rivers navigability.
|New Bridge (Curry Moor)|