Newton Bridge (Glen Almond)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Newton, Glen Almond|
|Perth and Kinross|
|Crossings related to the A822|
The Bridge across the River Almond at Newton in Glen Almond reputedly dates back to 1730 and was built by General Wade as part of his Military Road from Crieff to Inverness. However, the bridge is not typical of Wade's other bridges, and has clearly been doubled in width at some time in the past, generally considered to be in the 1830s. It is the eastern half of the bridge which is the older part, facing downstream towards the car park areas, but the geography of the site means that the bridge has a semi-circular arch and level roadway, unlike the more hump-backed appearance of other Wade Bridges.
The bridge itself is a single stone arch without any form of decoration, the stone spandrels rising unchanged to the parapet tops. The newer side has a slight buttress like tapering to the abutments, but is otherwise as plain as the downstream side. It is only underneath where the difference in the two halves of the structure can be seen, with a clear, but smooth, join between the two halves.
Newton Burn Bridge
Less than 500m north of Newton Bridge, a smaller arch can be seen alongside, and at right angles to the A822. This is Wade's Newton Burn Bridge, unchanged since it was built nearly 300 years ago. This marks the point where the modern road diverges from Wade's route. The bridge is a single stone arch, much smaller than its neighbour, and without parapets, just as it was built!