|Location Map ( geo)|
|Junctions related to the B863|
The junction at North Ballachulish lies about quarter of a mile north of the Ballachulish Bridge on the A82. It is also known locally as Kinlochleven Road End, however as this name can also apply to Glencoe Crossroads, it is falling out of favour. Back in 1922 when the roads were first classified, the road leading east from here was simply a rough track leading to Callert on the north shore of Loch Leven. A decade later, it was the A829, and soon after it became the re-routed A82. The road to the south originally led to the Ballachulish Ferry, initially as the A82, then as a spur of the A828. This route took the road now called Old Ferry Road, down to the slipway next to the Loch Leven Hotel.
It was all change in 1975, when the Ballachulish Bridge was built. The A82 was once again re-routed, across the new bridge, with new connecting roads on either side. This led to the old road around the loch being re-numbered as the B863, and shortly after the junction was slightly re-aligned to make a proper T-Junction, rather than the previous sweeping junction. The old layout reflected the fact that very little traffic was coming from Kinlochleven, and turning left to go to the ferry, while a lot of traffic was using the A82 through route. The new layout also provided a 'safe zone' between St Brides Primary School and the busy road, and this old section of road remains in situ as property access and parking for the school.
Today, the junction is a simple give-way T-Junction, as is the next junction to the south, where the Old Ferry Road drops down to the lochside, and the old ferry slipway, while the modern A82 alignment climbs across the Bridge.
|A' Chrìon Làraich / Crianlarich, An t-Òban / Oban (A828),|
|An Gearasdan / Fort William|
|Ceann Loch Lìobhann / Kinlochleven 10||Argyll Coastal Route|