The North Parade Bridge in Bath is one of the newer bridges in the city. It was built immediately before the start of the Victorian era, and restyled 100 years later. The original structure was a typical early 19th century Iron span across the Avon, with a small pair of 'lodges' on the northern side, facing Pultney Bridge. The eastern building contains a spiral staircase down to the riverside path, while the western one was the toll collectors booth. To the east, the structure continues as a low viaduct as the road drops down to the level of the old meadows, now the Recreation Ground. At the eastern end of this viaduct section are another pair of lodges, this time substantially larger, with one on either side of the road.
In 1936-7, the bridge was refaced with Ashlar Stone over the old Iron spans to make it 'blend in' better with Bath! It is perhaps more of a surprise that the aesthetic-conscious Victorian's hadn't already done this work. Otherwise, the bridge remains as built, a wide roadway crossing the river from John Wood's Parades to the low lying sports fields of Bathwick.