|Location Map ( geo)|
Nungate Bridge is the oldest standing bridge in Haddington, spanning the River Tyne near the old church. It has been loosely dated to early 16th Century, probably before 1530, although as with any bridge of this age, it has seen substantial repairs over the ensuing centuries. Other sources suggest that it is perhaps even 15th Century, or substantially later - this probably due to the extensive repairs. However, the date of 1530 seems most likely as it ties in with the very similar bridge in Musselburgh, which is considered to have been built by the same mason.
The bridge itself consists of three main arches across the river, and west bank - both piers sit in the water. The lower courses of masonry are finely cut, while the upper structure and parapets are more generally built from rubble. At the east end there are two further accommodation or flood arches, which are believed to have been added in the 18th Century. One now crosses a riverside lane / path, while the other is partially obscured by steps which drop down from the roadway to the riverbank. The bridge carries a narrow roadway between the parapets. It is not thought that it has ever been fully open to motorised traffic, and is now solely a footbridge.