|Location Map ( geo)|
Pass Bridge carries the R424 over the River Barrow at Monasterevin, Kildare. The bridge is formally called Essex Bridge after Sir Robert Devereaux, the Earl of Essex, who lived in the Abbey. It is commonly called the Pass Bridge, because the Earl passed over it to embark on his unsuccessful campaign against the native people in Munster.
The bridge is a stone arch bridge, built c.1750. It carries alternating flows of eastbound and westbound traffic under signal control.