|Location Map ( geo)|
|The modern signalised junction|
|A4, A401, A4201|
|Junctions related to the A401|
|Junctions related to the A4201|
Piccadilly Circus is a junction in the heart of the West End. It is famed for its lights and the statue of Eros and is a major tourist destination.
Underneath the junction is the tube station of the same name. It was the first tube station to not have any ground level buildings, instead having a ticket office below the junction.
Piccadilly Circus was built in the early 19th century under the name Regent Circus South. It was much smaller than the junction which is there today, just connecting the straight part of Regent Street with Piccadilly.
At the end of the 18th century, Shaftesbury Avenue was connected to the junction. This involved a lot of demolition along Tichborne Street which effectively created a much larger junction; it was then renamed Piccadilly Circus.
There were two traffic islands, one with Shaftesbury Memorial, and one with public conveniences. However the junction was still arranged like its old layout, with the old Regent Circus being the main part, and other roads arranged around it. Traffic lights were added in 1926.
In around the 1940s it was turned into a single junction, operating around Shaftesbury Memorial. The Memorial was removed in the 1980s, allowing the junction to be changed to its present layout of linking several one-way roads.
|The City, Trafalgar Square||Haymarket|
|Oxford Circus||Regent Street|
|Regent Street, now A4|
|Coventry Street, now unclassified|