|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A487|
|Britannia Bridge (Porthmadog) • Dovey Bridge • Fishguard - Rosslare ferry • Maentwrog Bridge • Pont Llanychaiarn • Priory Bridge (Cardigan) • The Cob (Porthmadog)|
Trefechan Bridge is a rather plain Stone Arch bridge across the Afon Rheidol, which nevertheless played a crucial role in the history of the Welsh Language!
The bridge we see today was built in 1888 after the previous bridge had been swept away two years earlier. The older bridge was opened in 1800 and designed by no less an architect as John Nash. The bridge consists of three arched spans across the river, with the northern arch also crossing a side road.
On the 2nd February 1963, the first peaceful protest aimed at promoting the Welsh Language was staged on this bridge. It was staged by the Welsh Language Society and saw a number of people sit down on the bridge to block traffic for about half an hour. There were many other subsequent protests before the society saw the political establishment take them seriously and start to support their cause to promote their traditional language, and so not let it die out.