Queens bridge (The Swale)
|Location Map ( geo)|
The original bridge across the Swale connecting the Isle of Sheppey to the mainland was opened in 1860 at Kings Ferry. The Bridge was named Queens Bridge and carried a single railway track on its western side and a carriageway for pedestrians and carriages on the eastern side. A vessel hit the bridge in the 1920s which caused the bridge to be out of service for 10 months, this lead to the railway station at Shale to be built as a temporary terminus for those getting to the island.
In 1960 the new bridge 50 meters west was completed, the railway and road was realigned to go across the new bridge.
|Queens bridge (The Swale)|