|The Sabristi - Voting Membership|
|Statements of practice|
|Member sites - Other links|
|Discover FAQ - Digest FAQ - Discuss FAQ|
These links are to other websites you may find of interest - other international road sites, discussion groups or road-related articles. If you're looking for websites dedicated to the UK road network, take a look at the list of SABRE Member Sites.
SABRE is officially neutral on issues relating to transport and road safety policy and the inclusion of a website on this page does not imply any endorsement by SABRE.
UK Road Network
- The UK Motorway Archive - an excellent history of British Motorways from their initial concept through to the modern day
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges - the official guide to building a road... all 15 lever-arch folders' worth!
- Traffic Signs Regs and General Directions 2002 - another official publication, relating to permitted signs
- Highways England - the first stop for any major project in England.
- Lancashire Historic Motorways - fascinating historical accounts of the county's road-building
- Insititute of Civil Engineers - a rather technical viewpoint on road construction!
- Roundabouts of Britain - the company that published the "Roundabouts of Redditch" calendar.
- Traffic Scotland - the Scottish Executive road website.
- On the road in Scotland - comprehensive GPS-linked pictures across the North West!
- Highway Maintenance - everything you ever wanted to know about maintaining roads!
- Motorway Map - in the style of Chris M and Tom's efforts to map the motorway network as a Tube map, this is an amusing and interesting page
- Irish Roads - information and trivia about the main routes in the Republic of Ireland, plus a summary of the road network in Northern Ireland
- Forum SARA - Le forum des Sites Amoureux des Routes et Autoroutes (and all other forms of transport): the French equivalent of SABRE (in French, of course)
- WikiSara - SARA's equivalent of the SABRE Wiki (with sections also covering Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Quebec)
- Historic California US Highways - a tour of the roads that used to traverse the Golden State
- Kurumi - American site with a roadsign simulator and interchange dictionary
- Roundabout Safety in America - spot the reversed pictures!
- Autobahn Online - a German site with lots of statistics about their network
- Verkehrs-Notizen - German site with interesting picture tours of roads in Austria and the USA
- Which side of the road do they drive on? - fascinating site detailing which side of the road every country drives on. Those who believe the UK is a rare anomaly may be surprised to learn that about a third of the world's population drives on the left.
- Monterie - fantastic website on the world's different road numbering systems
- The Roads of Israel - a website devoted to information about the Israeli road system, classification, and history
- M1's Roads Photos - collection of pictures of modern roads in China
- Motorway Signs - a collection of photos from around the world
- Motorway Exit Lists - currently under construction with lists of motorways in most countries
- Ozroads - The largest Australian website devoted to Australian highways and route numbering
- AARoads Forum - USA roads site, a US equivalent of SABRE
- Wegenforum - "The forum for roads and transport": the Dutch equivalent of SABRE (in Dutch, natuurlijk)
- Wegenwiki - Wegenforum's equivalent of the SABRE Wiki (covering the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and further afield)
- The Milestone Society - aiming to catalogue the UK's remaining milestones
- Midland Counties Street Lighting - a wealth of streetlighting information and photos, run by SABRE member Claire Pendrous
Miscellaneous Road Links
- Life, the Universe and Everything - the Hitchhiker's Guide to Transport on Earth
- Tri-ang Minic Motorways - a 1960s toy, preserved forever on the Web
- How Motorways Work - what the Highway Code doesn't tell you
- Roadside Advertisements - with pictures mainly from France and Belgium
- Traffic Jam Theory - ever wondered why the jam disappears before you reach the front of it?
- The Degree Confluence Project - off-topic, but nevertheless interesting site for those with GPS receivers and digital cameras!
- Boring Squares - is the OS trying to take over the world? Some would think so...
Mapping and Route-Planning Websites
- Digimap - access is limited members of subscribing higher and further education institutions in the UK, but contains amazingly detailed maps of the UK.
- Digimap for Schools - like the main Digimap site, but limited to teachers and pupils in schools.
- Via Michelin - excellent route-planner, even for the UK.
- Multi-Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside - with 1:10000 scale maps of most places in England.
- Maps and Route-Planners - covering the UK and abroad.
- Multimap - excellent source of maps and route-planning advice.
- Get-a-map - mapping from the Ordnance Survey down to 1:25000 scale
- Streetmap - this site has OS maps at 1:50000 scale.
- Google Maps - innovative use of click-and-drag technology from Google
- OpenStreetMap - open source map project that welcomes user contributions
- Windows Live Local - includes detailed aerial photos of most areas of the UK, with map overlays
- New Popular Edition Maps - comprehensive collection of OS one-inch maps from the 1940s covering all of England and Wales
- Charles Close Society - established society for enthusiasts of Ordnance Survey maps - includes some online mapping
- Maps of Scotland - going back several hundred years
- Strange Maps - a fascinating blog looking at unusual and fantastic maps from around the world
- The Alliance of British Drivers - campaigns for a fair deal for UK motorists
- City Transport - looking at pro-choice perspectives on urban transport
- Travel Tax - the campaign against the government plans for nationwide vehicle tracking and road charging, which was supported by over 1.8 million people in a Downing Street petition
- PepiPoo - "helping the motorist to get justice": offers advice on how to defend motoring prosecutions
- National Alliance Against Tolls - campaigns against all existing and planned tolls, "road pricing" and "congestion charging"
- SpeedLIMIT - focuses on issues relating to driving and road safety, with particular reference to the North West of England, maintained by SABRE member Peter Edwardson
- Campaign for Better Transport - formerly Transport 2000, proposing a more "sustainable" future of transport through greater public transport provision
SABRE Members' sites (not in the Portal)
- Official SABRE Facebook page
- ADI Forum - a forum for learner drivers and instructors.
- OS Map Dating - Lez Watson's website cataloguing the dates of publication of different OS maps
- Weston-super-Mare Photo Tour - along the A371, by Chris McKenna
- Transport Yorkshire Preservation Group - a collection of preserved buses originally new to West Yorkshire PTE, run by James Fairchild
Other Transport Links
- Light Rail Transit Association - useful website on light rail around the world
- Railway and Canal Historical Society - the SABRE of canals?
- Urban Rail - a very comprehensive site on metro systems around the world
- World Metro Systems - featuring maps of many cities' systems
- Maps of Subways - continuing the theme, maps of cities' systems at the same scale - useful for comparison!
- Always Touch Out - a site dedicated to London's transport projects
- Skyscraper City - a large forum dealing with wider urban issues as well as skyscrapers
- Local Transport Today - reports from a transport magazine available online.
- Petrol Prices - very useful site - particularly given the current high fuel prices - showing the cheapest petrol stations in your local area
- The Unofficial Austin-Rover Web Resource - SABRE is not a "car" site, but this is a truly fascinating site covering the development history of BMC/Leyland/Austin/Rover cars from the Mini to the company's demise in 2005
- SniffPetrol - an unashamedly politically incorrect humorous look at the car world
- Road Supervisors - looking at the problem of road crashes through a technological lens
- Advanced Driving - everything you need to know about advanced driving. Includes an active discussion forum
- Dull Men's Club - strangely apt for many Sabristi
- British Weights and Measures Association - defending the use of traditional British measures, often a subject of lively debate on SABRE
- UK Metric Association - supporting the expansion of the metric system
Keep us up to date!
If you have a new link to add or if you've noticed one of our links is out of date or broken, please let us know via our contact form.