St Ives Bridge
|Location Map ( geo)|
|1110, 1414, 1716|
St Ives Bridge, also known as The Bridge, was built in or shortly after 1414 to replace a 300 year old wooden structure that was built in 1110. There are six stone arches carrying the roadway across the River Great Ouse, the four northern arches being original while the southern 2 were rebuilt in 1716 after they were removed to create a drawbridge during the English Civil War.
Whilst the bridge is undoubtedly one of the oldest in the country, it is perhaps more notable as being one of the few to retain its bridge chapel. Consecrated to St Ledger in 1426, the Chapel projects into the river between the middle two arches on the east, downstream, side of the bridge. The chapel is now a museum.
Before the St Ives Bypass was opened, the B1040 crossed the bridge, but today the bridge is effectively pedestrianized, with the rather unusual prohibition of any vehicles, except for those exceeding 3 tonnes MGW. There is an additional sign which states that 'no cars permitted on bridge at any time'.