|Location Map ( geo)|
|The A5 running across the causeway towards Holy Island|
|1823, widened 1840s and 2000s|
|A55 • A5|
|Crossings related to the A55|
|Crossings related to the A5|
The Stanley Embankment is a man-made causeway built to cross the Stanley Sands to Holy Island by Thomas Telford, for his London to Holyhead road.
It was widended in the 1840s to the south, to make space for the Holyhead to Chester railway line.
In the 2000s, a second causeway was constructed to the south of the railway, to carry the A55 dual carriageway across the sands.