|Location Map ( geo)|
Stanmoor Bridge at Burrowbridge sits on a historic crossing point of the Tone, which was used by the Turnpike Companies in the 18th and 19th Centuries. It lies immediately upstream of the confluence where the Tone flows into the Parrett. The bridge itself is a single span Girder bridge, where the substantial girders rise above the road deck as parapets, forming a stiff metal trough. Whilst the date is unknown, an overpainted sign mounted on the bridge suggests that it predates 1963!
Whilst the original Turnpike Roads may have crossed the Tone twice, here and at Athelney Bridge upstream, by 1922 when the roads were classified, the 'New Road' direct from Burrowbridge to East Lyng had been built and was numbered as the A361. Ever since, the old route has been a much quieter road for local traffic, although the road across Stanmoor Bridge continues past the junction for Athelney and runs through to Langport, so seeing a little more traffic these days as a handy shortcut!