|Location Map ( geo)|
|c1731, 1929, 1964|
|Crossings related to the B3108|
This bridge across the Avon at Limpley Stoke replaced a ford, as its name suggests. It appears to have originally been built as a Wooden structure in c1731, later replaced by the four stone arches we see today. The arches are rather unusual, in being very shallow segmental arches set above high cutwaters, giving an almost square appearance. The bridge has twice been widened, in 1929 and 1964, and presumably on the downstream, or north, side each time as the south side retains the triangular refuges over the piers.
The road across the Bridge is the busy B3108, with traffic descending the steep and twisty Winsley Hill to cross the Kennet and Avon Canal, then the River Avon before passing under the railway line and turning sharp right to climb the hill to the A36. This route links Bradford on Avon to Bath, specifically via Brassknocker Hill to Claverton Down, home of the University, so it is a popular cut-through for students and staff alike.