Thurso Bridge carries the A9 over the Thurso River to the east of the town centre. The first bridge built here was only erected in 1800, and consisted of three stone arches with occuli above the piers. However, it was a narrow bridge and so work started to widen the bridge in 1886. Unfortunately, this led to the collapse of the old bridge, and so a new bridge was hurriedly built. According to the plaque on the current bridge, this opened on 3rd May 1887. The current bridge has four, not three arches spanning the river. Shallow pilasters rise up the piers to provide small buttresses on which lamp posts are mounted. The roadway in between is a wide S2 with pavements on both sides.